Cost of solicitor to settle estate

CKT

Can anyone tell me the expected cost for a solicitor to settle an estate of my late father, there is not a lot to be sorted, just life assurance, house, car and a bit of savings.

My father passed away last August, and I’m concerned because it’s taking so long to sort out that the solicitor will charge too much.

1. Have you engaged a solicitor already?
2. If yes, did they tell you in broad terms, what they would charge? They are obliged to.
3. If not, are you doing aspects of this yourself? Have you considered doing the Grant of Probate yourself? This is not always wise.
4. Otherwise, contact a few local solicitors, tell them precisely what is involved and ask them to give you a price.

mf

Yes, solicitor engaged already, went with him because the will was with, he has never mention anything about charges, (I suppose we should have asked before, but we were not thinking straight at the time, as you can imagine). The probate has been done already…

2. If yes, did they tell you in broad terms, what they would charge? They are obliged to.

Ask him now for a breakdown of fees and outlays due. If you are unhappy, post back here.

mf

The cost of the solicitor's services is around 3% according to [broken link removed]

3% would be considered high. It all depends on the amount of work involved and without a proper breakdown its hard to give any reasoned advice. Different Solicitors can quote or charge a range of fees from cheap to expensive - you can choose to go with the cheapest or the dearest - its your choice. Most people do shop around now. Very expensive could be challenged with the Law Society if it was not made clear at the outset that that was the level of fees proposed. But if fees are advised in general terms in advance and are not queried, then it is hard to justify a complaint.

mf

Hi, just got the bill yesterday, just under 7k, would this be considered high??

Well given that no-one here knows what was involved, you may as well ask "how long is a piece of string?"

mf

Back