Cost of running an Electric Aga?

Spicey

I was going to put in a powered flue gas Aga until I was told an electric one would be cheaper to run! I know that oil is the best way to go but unfortunately I didn't allow for a chimney at the planning stage so this is not an option!
Anyone have any figures on running the electric Aga?

Spicey

Re: How much to run Electric Aga?

It would see on lightly that an electric Aga would be cheaper to run, but maybe with Night Saver.

You should be able to get the Kw ratings for both and then do the maths.

eg.
Kw required to run the electrical Aga for an hour and its efficiency.
Kw required to run the gas Aga for an hour and its efficiency.

The efficiency for the electrical Aga would be close to 100%, but less for the gas (as heat is lost out the flue). Agas could be more complex as they lose a lot of heat to the room.

Then you work out the cost per Kw for electricity (don't forget Night Saver rates) and the cost per Kw for Gas, taking into account their efficiency.

Re: How much to run Electric Aga?

Thanks Towger!

I have the figures for the two Electric Agas but unfortunately I can't do the maths!
The night storage Electric Aga uses 224 units per week and the 13 amp Electric one uses 220 kWhr!
Working on a nightsaver rate of 0.0695 and a domestic rate of 0.1435 can anyone work out the costs for running the two different ones? Please!

Spicey

Hi Spicey,

Am in process of building at the moment. Have a chimney in plans for Aga but wondering if electric option is better. I looked at the aga uk website yesterday and the elec. model has a new energy management system which cuts down the running cost. They also do a new biofuel option which I must look into.
Wondering if you also have plans for another 'elec' oven/hob?
I found the staff at the aga shop in cork helpful with regards to running costs I think the 2 oven elec. model costs 30- 35 euro per week to run their calculations.

I am at the moment trying to decide whether to go for the electric aga heat storage cooker or the s series aga, i was also trying to work out the cost and if it was worth it.
I have been told that it will cost in the region of 35euro a week but that with the AIMS system which is supplied as standard now on all new electric agas that this figure could be reduced by 17 to 30 per cent, this system allows the cooker to sleep when not in use and is remote controlled so the cooker is ready for use when needed, the s series has all the looks of the aga with rings on top instead of the hot plates and does not use any more than your normal cooker. is the heat storage aga worth it????? also any more advice on if you have the 3 oven aga would you really need to purchase another cooker or would this be sufficient?????