cost of replacing windows with french doors

danaforever

Hello,

Does anyone have a rough guide as to the level of work and the cost of replacing a window in the rear of the house with french doors? Do window companies such as Senator carry out the building works to install the french doors and is this a big job? Or do I need to get a builder to do this? Thank you.

Dana

Hi Dana,

Senator should be able to do all kinds of everything (sad, I know )

You will probably need an rsj (steel support) added to the wall when the window is removed. A friend was having this job done and one of the smaller companies that she got a quote from did not want to do this particular job but a company such as Senator should not have a problem with it.

This subject might have been discussed before so if you run the search option you might find some previous discussion on costs etc.

Is the window as wide as the french doors would be. if you are not making the opening any wider then you wouldn't need an rsj.
All the window company will do is remove the window and then cut out the wall underneath the window and then fit the doors. I had this done as part of replacing all the windows in a house and while there is work in it , it is not a major job , providing you are not widening the opening.

Have recently started looking into this myself. Two quotes so far, €2100 and €2300 for PVC "woodgrain". Dublin area suppliers. Seems steep to me and I am led to believe that "no-one bothers with wood anymore"

Just a quick note on the comment about 'nobody bothers with wood anymore'. Nothing could be further from the truth. Due to huge improvement in the way that timber windows are now made, and also due to increasing environmental awareness, the growth in sales of timber products is staggering. Whoever said that to you is talking though their backside.
I should know. I own a window company called All Weather Windows and we confidently predict that timber will become our No.1 product shortly, leaving pvc in its wake.

All Weather,
why should I consider buying wooden windows/doors over, say Senator's PVC?

This is not an argument; t's a genuine question. We are building in Wexford over next 6 months or so and want to know the best option.
Is there a lot more maintenace with wood? Are they more expensive?