Cost of renting an apartment in Oz

C

cullenswood

Thinking of going on a three week holier in Oz next year and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. More than likely flying into and spending most of the time in Brisbane, and flying out from Sydney.

What is the cost of renting an apartment for a week or two in Brisbane. What is the cost of renting a camper van for 1, 2, or 3 weeks? What is the general cost of living? Basically how much cash would I need for a 3 weeks stay. (I dont mind not living in luxury!) There could be about 7 of us going, but we may not stick together for the entire 3 weeks.

Do I need shots before going?

I have been checking out the apartment prices and they seem to be $135 a nite which is steep enough. Anyone got any experience of this, and is this the normal rate?

PS I have looked in the other Australia posts but not found the info I wanted

Re: Cost of living etc in Oz

howya cullenswood,

I'll start the ball rolling...

For short term lettings, you'd be looking at about $4-500 per week (bout €300) to split between the lot of you. If you want to, hostels work out very cheap (i stayed in a hostel which was more like a jury's in, opp train station in Brisbane, €35 per night for a double room, $18 for swanky 4 bed dorms, can get name if you're interested..) but if there's 7, apt could be way to go. Those prices should get you quite a swanky apt as well

Cost of hiring a van, prob can do for about $200 per week, but thats just from memory, i never did it

Greatest savings on cost of living there is eating out, there are so many restaurants / cafe's, the food tends to be excellent, and it is € for Au$ figures on the menus ($1 = €0.60). Beer is about $4 - 5, but thats for absolute aussie pish, and only 370mls. Beer cheap in off-licences tho, esp when you buy a carton of stubbies!

Flights excluded, €2k would be the best holiday of your life, i'm sure you could get by alright on €1k tho. If you're in Brisie, hit the Whitsundays, don't think its far (like about 8 hour drive - not far in Aus!)

no shots needed for Aus, but i'm sure you'll have plenty when you're there - they're cheap too!:b

hope thats helpful

Back