cost of renovating 1950s semi

elainem

Wondering whether anyone could guess at a cost for renovating a 1950s semi. Got one estimate, but thought it was high. House has been let for 15 years. Looking at all new plumbing, new wiring, knocking kitchen into dining room, knocking separate wc into main bathroom, putting new tile roof on flat roof extension, new kitchen cupboards and appliances (had estimated E12k for this). Also, tiling in bathroom and kitchen, sanding floors in all rooms upstairs and downstairs, and applying for planning permission to convert garage and then doing the conversion. I was hoping to spend about E80k - is this a reasonable budget or is it too low. Thanks. Elaine.

Hi Elaine

We have just bought a 1960's semi and there is also work needed. It is a dormer bungalow so what we will be doing is , re wire, re plumb, convert garage and knock down wall into kitchen, there are only 2 rooms upstairs so we have to put two more bedrooms upstairs and a bathroom and also the roof will be extended out to an existing kitchen extension. The price we got was 80k but that did not include any finishes, but does include the windows. In other words that brings it all to a plastering level and would therefore not include the kitchen, flooring, painting, doors etc etc.
Also additional costs are our architects fees which incudes the planning permission.
I have got just the one quote so far but am going to get another one as this is vital, you cant just go on one price. I am happy to go with builder that provides quote that doesnt include finishes as I am happier to shop around and get the best price possible on the finishes.
What price did you get and what did it include?

Back