Cost of receiving email/checking web on a Smartphone?

Bluebean

hi all,

I received a smartphone as a present recently. I am currently with vodafone, tied in to a contract for another 12 months or so. What I was wondering was how much (approx) it costs to send and receive emails on a smartphone? Vodafone do an add on of 3mbs a month for €9.92 + VAT, but I'm just wondering if 3mbs is a low amount? I imagine I would not be using it a huge amount for web surfing as I already have broadband at home...
Can anyone advise?

Bluebean said:
What I was wondering was how much (approx) it costs to send and receive emails on a smartphone? Vodafone do an add on of 3mbs a
It's quite cheap if you check your e-mail using POP3, if the phone has a built in mail client.

If you start browsing or need to use a web-mail client it will be be very expensive (and slow) as the networks include lots of advertising graphics to drive up the number of kb you use.

Worse still, is that roaming rates for data are horrific.

Some smartphones allow you to set up so it does not download web or advertising graphics etc (I know the XDA could do this) to lessen the costs.

Wexfordman

Check this story out:

[broken link removed]

Irish guy goes to Austria & gets billed UKP£300 after checking his e-mail over a 3-day period.

Call in and see if they would upgrade/switch you to a Blackberry.
I have one for a year and I run my business from my pocket now!

runner said:
Call in and see if they would upgrade/switch you to a Blackberry.
I have one for a year and I run my business from my pocket now!
You will surely still incur GRPS roaming charges when using your Blackberry abroad?

I also know of many people who have had problems using their Blackberry in some countries (e.g. Dubai), even through GSM roaming is in place. It appears that GPRS roaming is not quite as mature.

If travelling a lot, it would work out cheaper to access your email via an Internet mail service such as Google Mail, from a Wi-Fi connected laptop or smartphone. There are some similar offerings for corporate email - Vodafone do one that I know of, Vodafone Business Email, which is quite good.

A retakive sent me her holiday snaps while I was roaming. One e-mail cost me €35. The GPRS roaming tarfiffs are extortionate. Unless you're employed by a very rich company (e.g. a mobile network) that's paying the bill, only use GPRS at home.

Back