Cost of plumbing a gas hob

usrbin

The gas hob is sitting in the worktop; there's a semi-rigid (white plastic-coated) pipe running through the outside wall, the inside end waiting a few inches from the intake pipe on the hob, the outside end just needing a few metres extension to locate the barrel a safe distance from the window...

Ideally the job should be done be an appropriately certified gas plumber, I know, but surely a price of Eu325 for this job is excessive (including a cutoff valve).

Anyone had this done for less?

am having an old gas cooker disconnected and a new hob connected for 250 euro by Gas Wise in Rathmines Dublin ph 497 4281. They are Bord Gais fitters. I've already had this company do work for me and was very pleased with the result and service.

L

I got my hob connected 1 1/2 years ago for 100 euro - got some guy through Board Gais.
Found it very hard to find a plumber to connect gas fire (last month) Bord Gais recommended two that couldn't do the job till after xmas.

Eventually found one on tradesman.ie - reasonable....

M

Got my hob fitted by an ex Bord Gais employee (retired) a few months ago for about 50 quid!! I was shocked since the cheapest I could find before him was 130. Was recommemded by a guy in the local hardware store/heat merchants

Got it done for 100 euro 2 yrs ago , got guys card in DID electrical where i bought hob

The gas hob is sitting in the worktop; there's a semi-rigid (white plastic-coated) pipe running through the outside wall, the inside end waiting a few inches from the intake pipe on the hob, the outside end just needing a few metres extension to locate the barrel a safe distance from the window...

Ideally the job should be done be an appropriately certified gas plumber, I know, but surely a price of Eu325 for this job is excessive (including a cutoff valve).

absolute rip off.
the fitter needs a gas bayontet..which cost about 35 euro in builders provider...should cost you no more than 150 euro, and thats you being generous.

try and get someone who is a gas board certified plumber...not just any plumber.

i had it done some months ago and cost me 80 euro, took him 40 mins and i supplied the bayonet.

Regulator, hose clips, rubber hose, gas tape is about 30 euro max. Some people shove the rubber hose over the copper pipe and use a hose clip, I'd prefer a compression fitting - over kill but for another couple of euros who cares.

Make sure that the hose is UV safe a standard hose will persish in the sun.

Thanks all, lots of good advice, will definitely not be paying the mentioned price... (may just install an electric hob instead, though ;))

One further piece of advice, ensure the correct hose is supplied with the hob, there are two types, .. we were given the wrong one and it leaked, .. the conman which fitted it long gone I had to get Bord Gas to check it, .. the Bord Gas man informed us that we needed a hose specifically for LPG, (it's heavy apparantly and leaked through the other hose), .. btw I fitted the replacement myself, ... wasn't paying for some other scheister's foreign holiday home!

Thanks all, lots of good advice, will definitely not be paying the mentioned price... (may just install an electric hob instead, though ;))

If you like cooking install a gas hob, much easier to control the temperature and faster to heat, I hate cooking on an electric hob. You can get an inductive electric hob but the pots and pans are specialized and cost a lot. I cooked on one in Paris and it was the bees knees.

Back