Cost of looking for planning permission

shanesgal

Just want to know very roughly how much it costed people to look for planning permission incl.all the tests involved on the site, architects/Engineers fees and the fee to the County Coucil etc..

Have a look at my blog if you like it explains a lot of it, i was lucky with the enginner as i work with him and i did the percolation test myself any questions i can help with give me a shout

I should also add my brother is an architect, and we were fairly set in our ways with the design we wanted so did not require the input of an architect. Kept the costs down, (not that he would charge me) Hopefully!!! If you know the design you want an engineer would be fine to draw the house and keep the costs down a bit for you, if you need a design input an architect is the only way to go.

http://ardmorewaterford.blogspot.com/

Jollyman, i must say that the fee you paid your engineer are not realistic whatsoever. You say he was a friend of yours so that explains it.

To the OP. I would definately suggest, what ever road you go down, to price around. If you want to have an artistically design contemporary dwelling then seek out RIAI architects, you will obviously pay top dollar for these services... ie probably 2 % of projected construction costs for 'design' sketch drawings (NOT CONSTRUCTION).. so assuming 3000 sq ft at 120-125 euros per sq ft would equate to approx €7,000...... if you want a full package from an RIAI architect ie from concept to certification youre probably taking more along the lines of 5-6%... ie €20,000.... these prices may seem big but the services and end product are definately worth it...

however if you want a more traditional, more simple and straigh forward dwelling i would recommend pricing other professionals such as Architectural technician, or engineer firms that employ architects or technicians.... these firms do not charge to riai sugested rates......

but again, in order to get a clear true price you need to know for certain what services you want.....

Had to force the engineer to take €400, the prices you state for architects are the fees they charge and is a good investment if you want a modern well designed building.

Can be quite hard to work around the local authorities with this aspect these days!

PS: Thanks Bertson hope it helps people as it evolves

Just got planning for house in Kilkenny

We had a good idea of the design of the house we wanted and I got an architect technician I knew to do a set of drawing and survey the site for €700. This was refused and had to submit a new design which he did for €400 as he didn’t have to survey the site again. The cost of percolation was €250+vat. Paid €100 to get the test holes dug for the percolation test

We got a local draughtsman who does a lot of applications in the Kilkenny area on the side to review drawing and make the application as well as putting the advertisement in the paper. This was excellent as he knew what the planners were looking for in the details of drawing etc and cut down the number of times we had to give more information. He did this for €250.

Hopes this helps

Dinny,
You got an absolute bargain. Lucky man. To be honest, i work in the buisness, and the fees you were charged would not put bread on my table. I am very thorough with my design & drawings, I hope for your sake this wan not compripised for a cheap fee.

I would say a thorough design could save a client thousands depending on the scale of the project. Dont be blinkered by low fees.

Kind Regards,
Robt

Robt,

I had a lot of input from my brother who works for a piling and precast beam company. He is on residential sites all the time and gives me a lot of design ideas from projects that he worked on and plans he priced.

Time will tell if I got a bargain. I will be the first to hold my hands up and say if I didn’t.

Regards

Dinny

Back