Cost of Kitchen makeover?

Liamos

We are planning on knocking our kitchen into our diningroom to make a large open plan room .Can anyone give me a rough estimate on what it would cost to do the following?

Knock partition between the 2 rooms
Move 2 radiators
Put in new Kitchen units (nothing too expensive)
Tile floor (6 metres x 6 metres)

Thanks

hi,
If the partition is timber stud work( check by tapping it, if it is hollow sounding=timber) allow E300
If it is blockwork there will have to be a steel girder or a concrete lintel put in
allow E1000-E1300
Put in new kitchen Allow E4-5k for vinyl
Allow E5-6K for solid
allow E400-500 for tiling plus the cost of the tiles and adhesive
Allow for changing electrics and plumbing to suit new kitchen
Around E400 each

Aiden@creankitchens

Thanks for that. That sounds a good bit less than I was expecting. Just need to get a couple of quotes now off builders.

Just need to get a couple of quotes now off builders.

I'd recommend at least 3 written quotes from 3 Building Contractors / Sub-Contractors. A comprehensive written quote will avoid a dispute at the end of the job. Do your homework now.

A steel girder for average room €300, Engineer advice plus 2 men 2 days labour, allowing E1000-E1300 is fine.

Pricing Kitchen's is straight forward - if you have a drawing / design - try local kitchen company, Cash & Carry, Ikea, B & Q, Homebase etc. Look out for special offers or weekend discounts.

Thanks for that. Just one further option we were considering if we could afford it was to extend out our diningroom by about 6 foot. An acquaintance told me that a steel girder could cost up to €8000. Is this possible. I note the 2 previous posts vary from €300 to €1300. Is it more expensive to put in a steel girder when building an extension?

A small extension to a dining room could cost as much as a large extension!
Size isn't always a cost factor as site access, digging, pouring conc etc on a small job can be labour intensive and therefore expensive.

I bought a steel beam last year, 5m (15' 4") long. It was 8 x 4" steel I beam, cut to size & delivered cost €300. Let your fingers do the walking - get some quotes.

The €1300 includes labour, 2 men for 2 days work & Engineers fee.

A steel girder or I beam is required once the span goes over a certain length. Its size is specified by a Structural Engineer with full PI Insurance.

"An acquaintance told me that a steel girder could cost up to €8000".
It might cost €8k if you are building a bridge! Take your acquaintance with a Pinch of salt.

Would I need an architect for a job like this? It seems like a relatively small job.

Builder has just come back with quote of €21,500 plus vat for job. How does this sound? Awaiting 2 more quotes.

beware of any builder who quotes "plus vat". Because you are the end user and are not a company you should have beenb given the full total.
I presume his quote included the extension?

Sorry, the quote did show the Vat separately - €2902 (€21500 x 13.5%).

And yes the quote does include the extension.

Back