Cost of cross-border txts?

coolaboola

I've had a business mobile phone for the past 5 years. I've never owned my own mobile. In September I'm taking a career break so I'll be leaving my business mobile behind. So for the first time I'm looking to kit myself out with an appropriate service provider.

Having taken a gander at www.callcosts.ie it seems that Meteor prepaid is my best bet (I'm a light mobile user, mainly txts and very few, short calls).

Here's a small query that's been bugging me: is the cost of a txt msg the same regardless of where you're sending it? E.g. if I txt somone in the UK, does it still cost 9c?

With Vodafone its 25c for an international text message which includes northern mobile numbers and english numbers. Not sure if its the same on all networks.

Has Vodafone Ireland not changed it so that texts and calls to NI and the UK are counted as local and not International. Or is it just to the 6 counties up North.

Just looked at the website cannot see anything about the cost of international SMS, but also checked my bill, my sis lives in the north and I was charged 25C for all SMS sent to her last month, so unless its changed since then?

You might want to check out this. Seems you just have to register for it. Not sure if same for pay as you go roaming but presume it is.

[broken link removed]

Edit: Having just read it again, I see what you mean about not mentioning text messages but surely they can't charge you for an international text if the phone calls are considered Local. Nearly cheaper to just ring someone if that is the case! Then again it is Vodafone I suppose!

lightup

An international sms on Meteor prepay will cost you 15c

And that includes texts to the UK and Northern Ireland. And with O2 it's 25 cent per sms message also.

But the advantage of O2 is that you also get 250 webtexts per calendar month that can be sent to any mobile number, Irish or international. Might be worth looking into if you have regular Internet access. I know it certainly saves me a mini fortune every month.