Cost of concert tickets - getting crazy.

RMCF

Is it just me or is anyone else finding the cost of concert tickets getting unrealistic?

I have just seen 2 artists that I might be interested in seeing, Ry Cooder and Leonard Cohen.

Their ticket prices?

Ry Cooder - €96.25 - €131.25
Leonard Cohen - €90 - €125.

And these prices DON'T include any booking fees.

So if I was to come down to Dublin to see Cohen, it would cost me and the OH approx €210 for tickets + €120 for a hotel for the night + €40 petrol + €100 for food and drink = guts of €500 for 1 concert.

Needless to say I won't be going to any of these concerts, as much as I would like to. I could get a week in the sun from Belfast for that money.

Or you could drive to the concert and drive home after it.
No drinking costs ,no food costs,no hotel costs.So its not nessasarily the cost of the ticket ,but rather what you have added on to the price.
For me it would just be the price of the tickets plus the bus fare there and back.

Stop going & maybe the price will come down.

Read my last line on the original post

As for driving 3.5hrs to a concert and 3.5hrs back, I think this is pushing it a little for what is a rare event that you would want to savour.

I appreciate that to minimise the cost I could spend €40 on petrol and 7 hrs driving to and from the gig, but my original argument still stands in that €90 - €125 if an awful lot of money for a show lasting 2hrs max.

Yes ,would tend to agree even for the tickets alone,90 to 125e is a lot for a 2hr concert.
I went to see the Fureys & Davy aurther in Vicer street last week.They gave it their all,must have been 3 hours on stage,and the cost was only 30e a ticket,they were fantastic.

There is definitely some good value out there with certain artists, but I think some are bogging their arms in.

Take Leonard Cohen. If the avg ticket price for his O2 gigs is €100, then 14,000 ticket sales will raise €1.4mill per show.

And he's doing 3 shows !!!

Thats a cool €4.2mill - not bad work if you can get it.

They really overpriced those Ry Cooder/Nick Lowe tickets. I'd love to see either/both of these acts, but it is just way too dear. I just checked ticketmaster, and I can still get 4 adjacent stalls (i.e. front section) tickets on each of the three nights.

I wonder why they didn't do their usual trick of releasing the nights one at a time, before committing to the three nights?

i thought you had no money to do anything

i thought you had no money to do anything

Well spoted Ron Burgundy,however I bought these tickets and paid for them in 2008..,ticket master had my money for over 4 months.
And if you want to play detective you will notice on the tickets for sale forum that I did try to sell them.

It was cheaper for me to see Snow Patrol last month in Belfast than Dublin taking in the cost of a hotel, the ticket price and travel expenses etc