Cost of Car Service ?

dusmythb

Hi,

I have just received a quote from a mechanic for servicing a 04 Golf 1.4litre. Apparently the car is fine and does'nt need anything major except for a regular service ie oil change, filters, brake pads etc which he has quoted 400 euros.

I was hoping for some feedback if this sounded reasonable?

Many thanks,
D

A full service including brake pads(front) would be about €600 at a main dealer so sounds fine

His quote was over the phone so im not too sure what else would fall into a regular service, to be honest I thought it was a bit on high side alright. Thanks for the reply.

seems excessive, I did my wifes car there last weekend, its an 01 Focus, cost 64 euro for all the parts, inc oil, oil & air filter, plugs, power steering fluid.

seems excessive, I did my wifes car there last weekend, its an 01 Focus, cost 64 euro for all the parts, inc oil, oil & air filter, plugs, power steering fluid.

This exact service cost me about €130 (nixer) earlier this year - which I thought wasn't bad TBH.

Yop, how competent do you need to be to do this? I've often considered this level of service but have almost zero mechanical experience - yet I'm told that it's "dead easy" - is it straightforward for a novice like me as long as I have the correct instructions/guidelines etc?

Equipment wise, AFAIK an 'oil changing kit' and preferably some sort of ramp are all that is required?

From my point of you dont have to be a mad car head. Put it this way, how comfortable are you at changing a plug, doing a bit of blocklaying, painting, tiling, woodworking, fixing things???

If you have a bit of patience then it is quite straightforward. Now I have said to a number of people here at work that I service the car, and they are of the mind "I would never chance that".
Maybe if you are of the mind that mowing the lawn and filling it with petrol is a mission, then you should walk away from the service

What I have is a good socket and wrench for taking out the sump nut to let out the oil.
I have an oil filter removal chain for taking off the oil filter.
I have a paint bucket to catch the oil and an old oil container to put the waste oil in.
I have good strong, very important not a cheapo one which I had before, plug socket for taking off the plugs, also a socket wrench and extender arm to get down into the plug.
thats about it, takes about 1 hour or so.