Cost of buying / Selling Shares in simple terms please?

TurningGreen

Hi

I am thinking about dipping my toe into buying some shares in a small way (maybe €50-€100 pm) but I am looking for some help on costs etc. I know there are broker charges, capital gains etc but just not sure how they are charged. If for example I bought €500 worth of shares (assuming €1 p/share) and a year later I sold them for €1000 (now €2 p/share) could anybody tell what charges I could expect on the buying and selling of these shares and how much of the €1000 would be left after I had paid all debts incl government. I know this example is a very simplistic approach but I just want to get a feel for whats involved and maybe ways of reducing cost of buying and selling. Thanks in advance.

it is not at all economic to buy €50/100 shares per month.

you will face a min charge on buying/selling of €20 per transaction, with 1% stamp duty if an Irish share and 1/2% is a UK share.

You will also have a yearly fee if in a nominee or sponsored crest account. if you wish to be a certificated shareholder, then you will not be able to sell until the share cert is in possession of the selling broker, thus incuring postage costs.

If you bought €500 of a share, using my figures and assuming it was an Irish share, the costs would be €25. the selling cost at €1000 would be €20. If you had yearly fee, you would have to factor that in as well.

You would not have any capital gains tax, if the only gain you made in the year was €500 as you are withing the tax free amount.

Chances of making 100% in a year is poor!