Cost of Building Garden Wall

AleoN

Hi
Anyone any idea on the approx. cost of building front garden wall - nothing fancy - about 4 blocks high with cappings and plastered on the outside.

Garden front is about 30 Mtrs long, so about 2 or 3 small piers along the length. Walls to be splayed inwards for 1.5 Mtrs at angle of 45 degrees to piers for gates.
Kerry area by the way.
Thanks in advance.

Our wall is c.140 ft long, and 9 blocks high, proper masonary blocks hollow, And then 90 ft long along back garden with plastering on the 140 ft wall only and red-brick cappings on 140ft wall. And grey cappings on 90ft, (no Plastering). Cost about €6000 in June or July of 2003, but it was payed for by Shamrock Foods Ltd, cause they destroyed our old wall with JCBs.
Hope this helps, im sure i could think of more if u want.

Thanks sueellen -
Just to let you know I got a quote from a builder for €5,500 for the job. Anyone any thoughts on this? Thought it was a bit excessive myself. Straightforward job, no slope or anything like that.
Thanks for the replies

Aleon,
Back of an envelope calculation assuming you get get this work carried out by third parties -
1. Groundworks say 1-2 days work circa €400
2. Concrete @ €65 per metre x 4.5 cubic metres = €300
3. 30m = 98Ft /1.5 = 65 Blocks per course x 4 Courses = 260 Blocks + circa 40 extra for piers = 300 Blocks * 0.50c per Block (4")= €150.00
4. Blocklayer €1.75c per block = €525
5. Plasterer circa 2 days @ €300 P.D = €600
6. Sand + Cement + Pier cap's €250
Total = €2225

BTW 4 courses of blocks will only come to 2'6" high wall.

and the cracks are FREE!! Looks like 4" Cavities an don edge!!!(Mickey Mouse strength). Better to go for a more robust finish 4" Solids (on Flat) or 9" (Cavity). Cost a bit more but will stand test of time.

BTW 4 courses of blocks= 36" (+ 4 joints) = 40".

Dacman - You calculation comes in nearer to what I was expecting!!! Less than half what I was quoted. Am I being ripped off here? When I said 4 rows of blocks i was thinking of 9" cavities which should finish off about 38 - 40" with cappings as scaper pointed out.

Think I should get another estimate?
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Aleon,
You should defiitely get more quotes, the one you got sounds like it was plucked out of the air. I think builders and other workers size you up for what they think you can afford before quoting a price.

solids on edge are fine for a garden wall but cavities are a better job.I can understand where Dacman 's pricing is coming from but when questioning builders prices you have to allow for attendancies and profit(no-one works for free).also with a builder you have the security of a registered professional business with guarantees carrying out the works instead of friends of friends doing the job.

That said €5500 seems a bit high . i would have thought €4500 inc. vat cash price should be 25% cheaper.