cost of a brickie per block in the West at the mo

stevo

We've heard that the cost of a brickie per block has dropped substantially recently - my brother built his house at 1.10 per block two years ago, but we are wondering what the price is these days.

Has anyone got a recent quote (in the West of Ireland) that you could share? (Not looking for names of builders or anything, just looking for ball park figures).

We are preparing our costings for our mortgage application, so looking for some accurate & recent figures to put down for the building work.

thanks,

Hello Stevo i just got my house built last october november and i paid 90 cent per block. I was really happy with the price as he was a quality blocklayer over 30 years experience and he never missed one day unless it was rained off. I'm sure you could get it even cheaper now as i know that there were a lot of blocklayers laid off in January.

90 cent per block !!!!!

God bless the black economy

I would be interested to get your blocklayers details McD as I will be looking for a blocklayer in a month or so for the blockwork on a timberframe build in Galway.

I would be interested to get your blocklayers details McD as I will be looking for a blocklayer in a month or so for the blockwork on a timberframe build in Galway.

He mainly works in the mayo Area Builder Ed and at the moment he is starting a friends house this week in Ballina. However i can ask him if he is interested in travelling to galway for work. What part of Galway would it be?

My best quote at moment is 90c.

But other blocklayers have asked me "does that price include a full finish" - what does this mean ? Is it lintels/cills/fireplaces or what ?

Thanks MCD, The site is 4 miles west of Barna in Galway. Currently at raft stage so it will be a few months yet.

paid 1 euro per block in October 07 in the midlands. this was cash payment and included the installation of the cills, lintels, steel, insulation etc. about 35 windows in the house (not big ones) no extra cost for scaffolding, had their own. two circular shaped windows so would probably take extra time with blocks there. this price also included assisting the people who laid the hollowcore floor (1st floor), the blocklayer provided the supporting props for this etc. and he was basically on site to oversee this job for us.
we left the blocklayer to the job as we live in the UK so he was pretty much left to his own devices. this guy we used is highly recommended in the Midlands and he was selected for reliability, honesty and quality rather than price. we are very happy with his work for what we think was a good price. he also ordered all materials on our behalf on credit accounts we had set up with local suppliers and collected materials whenever required.
the groundwork was carried out by a different guy but he works with this bricklayer so they know each others work and we left the groundworker to his own devices too and all has been very straightforward.
same process will happen with the roof, again a guy i know well from my school days and again highly recommended by other self builders in the area and again he will be left to get on with it.