Corsica

burger1979

hi,

was wondering if anyone has been to Corsica on holidays. if so could you recommend a particular area of Corsica. I know that Bastia seems to be the biggest town on the island but that the west coast of the island would have better beaches. I am going on honeymoon there in September and would like to be in a place that has a nice beach, close to a town with some night life.

thanks,

burger1979

Calvi in the north of the island is a really nice town and it's on the coast. You can take a small train from their to Ajaccio further south. It's a really nice journey. Hotels weren't great when I was there a few years again so you may be better renting an apartment. Enjoy!

I was in Corsica last year and it is a beautiful unspoilt island. We stayed about 30miles south of Bastia along the coast and the beach was fantastic. I would recommend going further south down to Bonifacio. You won't find a nicer town in terms of scenery and location throughout Europe.

The only disavantage we had was the journey. We flew to Nice, hired a car and then had a 5hr ferry ride into Bastia. A total of 14hrs from the time we got up in Ireland and got to our apartment but the trip was work it. we stayed for two weeks.

[broken link removed]

Thanks for the replies. We have looked into getting the ferry to Bastia and Ajaccio. but the ferry only leaves for bastia on the day that we want it to (we are booked into a hotel already in nice for a few days). has anyone taken the train from Bastia to Ajaccio? if so how long did it take?

burger1979

Hi
Spent 10 days in Corsica last summer, ferry from Nice. Drove all around the Island, favourite spot was Calvi, relaxed, very scenic, good beaches, food etc. Bonifacio definately worth a trip, was more crowed, found it more of a tourist trap. Would recommend renting a car, as it's a great way to see the Island. Driving around the coast is spectacular, and you will be able to get to the smaller interesting places. Inland the mountain scenery is excellent too. If you don't have a car, Bus is probably the next best option, takes about 3 hrs from Bastia to Ajaccio.

Back