Corrolla reving problem

pd99

I have a 5 year old Corrolla thats developed an intermittent problem recently.
What happens is that the engine will start to rev as if I've just put the accelerator down. It could happen as I'm taking a corner and the car just takes off, so much so I have to hit the brake. Once it starts doing this the only option is to switch off the engine.
This might only happen once a week but it can be scary!. I've brought it to my usual garage (Toyota main dealer) but they couldn't find anything. Anyone else experience a similar problem?

Yep, but in a Saxo, where it's a common problem.

There are a couple of options.
1. Clean the Throttle Body as carbon deposits or dirt could have built up and fouled the Throttle Position Sensor, making the ECU think the accelerator is being pressed.
2. Coolant Temp Sensor is sending incorrect readings (like the car is really cold, therefore give it more gas to keep from stalling).

Option 1 is free (as in DIY) so try it first.

Er...isn't sudden increase in revs precisely the current big Toyota news story/recall?

Not sure if a 5 year old Corolla falls under this though.

Hiya,

I have a similar issue with a 98 Honda Integra.

Once the car warms up AND while stationary it rev's to 1500rpm instead of the 800/1000 AND the CHECK ENGINE Light comes on.

In my case this all falls in under issues around the Throttle Body ( TB ). The TB is between the air filter box and attached to the intake manifold. On the TB is usually an array of sensors. I have three:

1. The TPS - Throttle Position Sensor
2. The MAF ( Mass air flow ) or a MAP ( manifold absolute pressure ) Sensor
3. The IACV - Idle Air Control Valve

Initially I could sort of solve this problem by starting the car, plug out the MAP sensor, back in again. Not a good idea - this puts the ECU into "Limp Home Mode".

I then stripped the Throttle Body off the intake manifold and cleaned out the TB itself and also the IACV. As was mentioned - loads of carbon deposits. This did not sort my issue. At this stage I think its either the IACV or the TPS. I pulled the TPS cable while car was running - no reaction from the engine at all, in that it stayed ticking over at 1500.

On honda's one can close the circuit on a cable under the glove compartment so the check engine light blinks out codes. I have two the TPS and the IACV.

Bobalong

Had this problem with a 406, dealer could not find the fault, it turned out to be MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) sensor dirty. it had to be cleaned about every 6,000 mile.
You can find if your car is one of the faulty batches by going on the Toyota website and typing in your VIN No.