Corrib gas fields-

Z

z104

Does anybody know how many cents in the euro will Shell pay the Irish tax payer for our Gas?

I hear that there is an estimated 9 billion euro worth of Gas out there and the investment cost to shell is 300million euro.

Ray Burke is the man you need to ask that question to. I know it is not much, but we (the public) still have to pay full market price for the gas.

Update:

It looks like Shell don't pay the state (but there may be other parties...) anything for the gas :

Protesters against the controversial Corrib Gas Field terminal, in particular Shell to Sea have commented that the deal made by Burke which exempted the oil company Royal Dutch Shell from paying any royalties for the gas extracted had the hallmarks of a corrupt decision.[3]

Last edited:
We get nothing out of it - I don't know if we even get paid for the security operation, so were probably out of pocket for it

This looks like a LOS thread but anyway, do remember that Shell and others have spend billions on exploration in the Irish Sea. The cost of keeping a small exploration platform at sea (without it doing any drilling) can run to over a million euro a day. The cost of drilling one hole can run to over a hundred million euro (holes can be kilometres deep into seabed that is under tens of thousands of meter of water). That’s not to justify the actions of Ray Bourke but it wasn’t quite a free lunch for Shell.

Back