Correct TV Tuner type for Irish TV

skrooge

Hi,

Looking for advice from more experienced/knowledge sources. I recently purchased a HP laptop which came with Microsoft Media Centre and a TV tuner express card (Yuan EC300 DVB-T TV Tuner Driver). I basically want to use my laptop as a HD recorder as a replacement for my video. But I’ve run into a few issues. During the setting up process I select Ireland as my region but I keep getting a message saying “the TV tuner does not support the TV format in your region”. I’ve also tried setting it up with both NTL digital and Sky digital using the UK settings but I get nothing. Would I be right in surmising that the reason I’m getting no signal is because it’s a digital tuner but the signal coming from the sky/NTL box is analogue? Would I be able to watch Sky/NTL through my Media if I had analogue TV tuner. If so can anyone recommend one? And, at present, what is the point of having a digital only TV tuner card in Ireland???

Any other helpful comments on how to do the above would be most appreciated.

Have you checked the HP support site for your laptop in case there are later drivers that you need to install for this to work?

[broken link removed] suggests that that card is an analog tuner card although it also mentions digital and DVB does mean digital!

This boards.ie thread might also be of interest to you.

DVB-T = Digital Terrestrial Broadcast Tuner.

RTE have had digital transmitters for about 10 years at their main TX sites, but they caused interference with Cablelink, which RTE owned at the time. So they stopped their test transmissions. Roll forwards 10 years... RTE no longer own Cablelink and were told last year to 'use it or lose it' on the digital license. So 'tests' have begun again. If in Dublin (and with an aerial) you should be able to get these test from the 3Rock, they are also testing in other sites about the country. There is loads of info on the digital tests on www.boards.ie.

Towger