Correct depth screed/slab for UFH?

apple1

Hi,
Would appreciate any feedback on the correct depth of screed or floor slab to pour when used in conjunction with underfloor heating. Thanks in advance, apple1

75mm is what has been recommended to me by multiple sources.

agree with the above 65/75mm Floor Screed would be necessary.
Be careful not to fit timber over a new concrete floor construction without
first running the system to dry out the moisture still trapped in the
structure.

Any good UFH supplier should have a recommended detail outlining what depth of screed and insulation is recommended for the various options, suiting their pipes, clips etc.. and depending on whether you intend to put the pipes in the foundation, or in a floor build up above it. You should ask their rep.

J2K

the more screed you have the longer it will retain heat. mine is 5-6 inches and works great. its also quicker to heat up than i initially expected. ie the room starts getting warmer after about 2 hours

I have a question along similar lines to the OP. If I am installing underfloor heating in my new build, how far off the current floor level will I end up by the time I have have laid a recommended layer of insulation, underfloor pipes, and the minimum 75mm screed as recommended above?

as jake2000 states... whatever system you plan on installing should give you the preferred floor construction....

We have started building our house and are putting in underfloor heating. We were given 2 options on where to put the UFH pipes -

1 - put in about 5 inch subfloor - then lay the pipes then put in 3 inches of concrete on top
2 - put insulation and UFH pipes on top of the compacted hardcore and then pour the 5 to 6 inches of concrete finished floor.

We are considering OPTION 2 - does anyone have any information why not to choose this (other that it taking a little longer to heat up house). My concern is whether we would reach the normal heating temp with the extra concrete on top of the pipes.

option 2 heat rises and concrete retains heat and releases it slowly . more = better. dont worry about warmup times