coroners court

computerman

i have received an "invitation to attend", but I will be working away, is it necessary to attend? can the coroner issue a summons? what happens if i dont attend. They already have my written statement.
any help appreciated.

The coroner can indeed issue a summons and if they do, here are the penalties for not attending:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2005/en/act/pub/0033/sec0001.html

Remember that there is a family who want this inquest to be over so that they can get a death cert and an ordeal will be over for them. So if possible it would be great if you could contact the coroners office and tell them you cannot attend and ask if your attendance is absolutely necessary. They can adjourn the inquest if necessary.

I used to work in a coroners office and the waiting time for an inquest is usually a huge burden on a family.

You may not be an essential witness. i.e your evidence might be to prove something as a formality which is not in dispute. You or your own solicitor could write to the coroner and to the solicitors for the next of kin and any other party being represented to enquire if they regard your attendance as essential.

However if any party or the coroner deems you an essential witness you will have to attend.

yor statment that you made to the gardai will be read out and you will be asked if you agree with its contents.thats all to it. no bodies etc.

Back