Coronavirus - latest global news - discuss Irish news the other thread

The Dutch have " banned" all flights from the UK due to the mutation that seems to be causing the lockdown in the UK. This must be the only travel ban I can remember since the start of this.
It appears that this new strain is 70% more contagious than the one that we have , while its not thought to make people sicker, or affect the effectiveness of the vaccines, there is a lot of concern around the the ability of the NHS to cope.

The Dutch have " banned" all flights from the UK due to the mutation that seems to be causing the lockdown in the UK
I can see a big increase in the planes coming in over Dublin Bay this week. Neighbour's children already home from London to stay. We will ban flights after Christmas, wait and see.

I can see a big increase in the planes coming in over Dublin Bay this week. Neighbour's children already home from London to stay. We will ban flights after Christmas, wait and see.
Unfortunately I agree, I know the importance of coming home but people aren't pragmatic.
Of course when cases keep rising the usual blame game will begin and it'll simply cause even more infighting amongst society generally.
Europe seem to be in the grip of this and they seem willing to take tougher measures.

A WHO, scientist have just said (Andrew Marr) on the mutation has been named the "501 mutation " ..........Ill leave that unfortunate name to one side.

She went on to say that the mutation seems likely to be due to the " social distancing not been adhered to".

Andrew is trying to get anyone to say that the mutation was known about in September, I feel he's looking for a stick to beat the inevitable Government Minister that will be on next.

More than 90 million people worldwide have been vaccinated, but a meagre 25 in all of sub-Saharan Africa’s one billion people have been given doses outside of drug trials.

As the virus continues to run rampant in the developing world we are likely to see new variants emerging and re-infecting us.

A new study commissioned by the ICC Research Foundation has found that the global economy stands to lose as much as $9.2 trillion if governments fail to ensure developing economy access to COVID-19 vaccines, as much as half of which would fall on advanced economies.

Therefore besides the absolute black and white moral duty to ensure that we change from our existing appallingly behaviour in relation to vaccine access it is also clearly in our interest to do so.

I know we are willing to let million of people die for the very understandable aim of being able to go to a restaurant sooner but it may actually be the case that saving their lives will also get our legs under the table faster.

Reactions: Leo
France re-enters lockdown
Nationwide school closure and a month-long domestic travel ban, as the rapid spread of Covid-19 increases pressure on hospitals.
A nationwide 7pm-6am curfew will be kept in place.
People are allowed to go outside for leisure, but within a 10-kilometre radius from their homes — and without gathering. Also most non-essential shops are closed down.

In my opinion a very good article reflecting about the situation we are in - with too many Governments justifying sometimes draconian measures instead to have a more balanced approach

In my opinion a very good article reflecting about the situation we are in - with too many Governments justifying sometimes draconian measures instead to have a more balanced approach
While I agree that there's a level of hysteria around Covid the National Review is a bit too "right wing crazy" to be taken as a balanced contributor.

While I agree that there's a level of hysteria around Covid the National Review is a bit too "right wing crazy" to be taken as a balanced contributor.
The author is the dean of the College of International and Security Studies at the George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies. Doesn't sound like a crazy person for me.

The author is the dean of the College of International and Security Studies at the George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies. Doesn't sound like a crazy person for me.
Well it's a US Military funded and run institution which was set up by Dick Cheney. Hardly a liberal bastion. From their own website; "The current mission of the Marshall Center is to enable solutions to regional and transnational security challenges through capacity building, access, and a globally connected network".

From Monday Australia will be closing its borders to its own citizens that have been in India in the previous two weeks.

I assume this is because of B1617.

Only one million people vaccinated out of a population of almost 100 million!
And using mostly the Chinese vaccine which depending on what/who you read is either useless or the best globally.

Closer to home , the UK situation is once again beginning to spiral, cases, of Indian variant, have now doubled in a week, I read somewhere that if that trend continued for 4 weeks cases could be over 200,000 a day.

I simply can't see the 21st of June being " freedom day" as described by a few . Of course the impact for us especially might not be positive.

On a broader issue I'm beginning to think that the global production of the vaccines needs to be looked at, apparently competition for materials is now at a point that some basic stuff cannot be sourced .

Back