Cork TB scare: how to organise the TB vaccination?

Spicey

I am wondering is there anyone that can give me details on how to organise the TB vaccination?

I am living in the Cork area and have just heard that there is a second creche with an outbreak of TB.

As I have two children going to a creche, although unrelated to the affected ones, I think I should get them vaccinated.

I rang my GP last week who said that she cannot do it.

I then heard that I have to go through the HSE and that there is at least a 12 week waiting list.

Any advice??

Spicey

Hi Spicey,

I expanded the title of your question a little. I share your concern and look forward hearing the replies.

My parents were of a generation for whom even the mention of the letters "TB" instilled great fear.

aj

Hi aj,

Thanks for extending the title - didn't do much good though!! Looks like there aren't too many people worried about the current situation!

Spicey

Please confine discussion to availability of the vaccine, and not medical aspects of the cases, or the advisablity of vaccination. rollercoaster.ie may be a better place for a full medical discussion.

This link from the HSE contains some information of the BCG. And [broken link removed] for more detailed information also from the HSE.

For some peculiar reason BCG has not been availiable in Cork City (and County?) for decades. If I can find any links detailing how cork people can get this vaccination Ill post it here.

Parents with queries about the vaccine may call the HSE customer information line in Cork at 1850 742000.

Progress!!
Just got through to that HSE information line at long last - 1850 742000! All new babies & any children at risk i.e. the children attending the two Cork creches - are now receiving the vaccination etc.

Added my children to the waiting list - can you imagine - the waiting time is now at least 5 or 6 MONTHS!

Back