Cork Street, Dublin 8

sanne

Hi there - I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion about the Cork Street area of Dublin. We're considering buying around the D8 area as its close to the city, a little cheaper, and they say it is being "rejuvenated". I am currently living in the US and moving to Dublin this year. My husband is from Dublin but hasn't lived in Dublin since the early '90s. He does not have a great opinion of Cork Street & that area. I'm wondering if his opinions are based on what he remembers from the '80s/'90s.
The property I was looking at on the web was Cameron Court on Cork Street.
Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

I lived there from 1997 to 2003.

It would probably be classed as inner city and, yes, it is being rejuvinated.

My experience was very positive, great capital appreciation, good transport links ( the luas arrived since my time ).

Like any other city centre location I would be careful walking home at night.

Hi Sanne,

Lived in Dolphin's Barn for many years and still have relatives there. See there is a previous discussion http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=18550&highlight=Cork+Street about the general area.

There is a mention on one estate agents site about €30,000 for a car parking space in their complex and parking is at a premium in this area.

There are not many supermarkets in Cork Street. The Luas and the bus service are generally good.

As mentioned in the thread you would need to be able to look after yourself if out and about especially at night time.

Depends what end - the Dolphins Barn end is best avoided. There is also the new Cork Street-Coombe link road and apartments on this stretch would be a wise buy as they are a short stroll from Stephen's Green.

was pretty awful just a few years ago but seems to have improved since then. Depends on your expectations, it's certainly not gentrified just yet.

Thanks a lot for all your comments. This is a really good site. There's so much information for someone moving back home.

SANNE

sanne said:
I'm wondering if his opinions are based on what he remembers from the '80s/'90s.

I think his opinion would be the same if he still lived in Dublin today! I walked around the area a number of months ago (my wife gave birth to our son at the Coombe hospital). I walked up towards the Dolphin's Barn end to get money from a cash machine. I didn't feel particularly safe.

This was in daylight. I certainly wouldn't be too happy to walk that area at night.

It may be a good buy for investment purposes, but I wouldn't recommend the area for a home particularly if you have children.

Back