Cork- Best Way To Get There?

suzie duff

Im going to Cork next weekend from Dublin, with my Mum, Sister and sister in law, the train costs 59.00 euro each but my mum is OAP. i just think its so expensive, should i drive? We are staying the Radisson.

suzie duff said:
Im going to Cork next weekend from Dublin, with my Mum, Sister and sister in law, the train costs 59.00 euro each but my mum is OAP. i just think its so expensive, should i drive? We are staying the Radisson.

Drive, its a good road most of the way.

check www.ryanair.com I doubt you will get any cheaper. For bank hol weekend the traffic will be bad and trains will be packed so go early if possible

the drive is not that bad anymore with all the motorways and bypasses..reckon bout 3.5 hrs ....aer arann fly as well down to cork

By the time you get to the airport, check in etc etc is it not just way too much hassle? You'd be half way to Cork by the time you have travelled to the airport and waited and eventually boarded the flight.

The AirCoach seems to offer very cheap travel Dublin/Cork (<€18 return) but 4hrs 20mins on a coach for an OAP may be a bit much.

The train is far more plesurable than the coach but as you say, not worth the money if you have other options.

Driving is a good option. Freedom to pull in when wanted/needed. The Radisson is also a fair bit outside of town (Eastgate in Little Island), you certainly couldn't walk into town from there. A train service (about 5 mins walk from the hotel) will get you to Kent station (<10 minute walk to Patrick Street from there)[it's the Cobh train and it's the first stop to/from little island/kent] in around 7 minutes, but have the timetable at hand if using this.

The flights could be an option, but by the time you factor in travelling to Dublin Airport, checking in, waiting, arriving in Cork Airport, travelling into town (through the magic roundabout on a bank holiday)... it may be cheaper and more convienent to get the train/bus/drive.

The bus is €13 return. Obviously longer travel time then a flight or train but excellent value. However given bank holiday traffic the journey might be that bit too long. The Radisson is also a few miles outside of the city centre, so you will need transport there if you decide against driving.

Post crossed with satanta.

shoegal said:
The bus is €13 return.

Can't say for sure what the cost is for the [broken link removed] is. A silly / with no explanation (that I can find) has me confused to be honest.
CORK & BELFAST OAP
A ticket will be issued free if the OAP Travel Pass is shown.
ADULT (12+)
Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays:
  • Single €12/£8
  • Return €18/£12
Mondays and Thursdays:
Adult Single €10/£7 and Adult Return €15/£10
Tuesdays and Wednesdays:
Adult Single €7/£5 and Adult Return €12/£8
CHILD (under 5-12)
  • Flat Fare €3/£2
UNDER 5's
Children under the age of 5 (five) continue to travel free provided they are accompanied by a fare-paying adult (including senior citizens).

thanks for all that, i think i might drive down as i just dont think the train is worth 177 euros, when i could drive down and back for half that and have a nice lunch somewhere on the way.

i would fly down as the flights are so cheap but the return flights and not so cheap!!

Satanta thanks for telling me about the train service from the radisson as we ant to do some shopping on the friday!! lots of information, i havent been to cork in years!

Hi Satanta, you are spot on! sorry! my info was out of date, still vg value though.

I still don't fully understand the / in what I posted above so if anyone else does (could be student prices??) please feel free to let me know.

Suzie, if your hitting town on the train its fast and you won't have any problems. Be sure to get the time table in advance so you don't sit around waiting too long. Its a short walk into the CC from Kent station.

If you plan on driving in, question the staff in the Radisson about the CC car park. Its on a side street very near the train station car park, large radisson sign above it, but I'm not sure if its free for guests or not. Bank holiday weekend I'll guess that the car parking in the CC will be even worse than normal so could save half an hour looking for a spot. [Car park will actually be on your way into town if coming in from the Radisson so could be very handy]

Lots of excellent places to eat once you get to Cork too (Currans, Greenes, Scoozies.... lots of others). Have to say I'm a huge fan of the spot. Hope you enjoy the trip!

The "/ " is euro price/sterling price:eek: , or so it seems on what I'm looking at!

Going off the topic of travel a bit...when in Cork at the weekend and you would like somewhere very nice to eat out - try The Barn in Glanmire. Was there last year with some friends and it was only fab. Very reasonable. We often comment that it would be well worth the drive from Kilkenny to go for a meal there again.

Enjoy your weekend!

NHG, i would love to try there but i actually won the weekend and dinner for the 4 of us is included! i really shouldnt be giving out about the price of the trains when i have a free weekend!!!

hansov said:
The "/ " is euro price/sterling price:eek: , or so it seems on what I'm looking at!
Hehe, woops, right you are! :eek:

"mail address of cork trains"
If you look [broken link removed] it'll provide all the times you need (thats for the 5th, ammend the search to get the times for the other days if needed). There is a [broken link removed] section on the link above if you need more information from them.
If it's something like directions to the station in Kent or from the station in Littleisland to the hotel feel free to PM me or post here and I can probably supply that without having to go through what can be a slow reply wait with IE.

Thanks satanta, that makes things much easier....im sure is not hard to find the hotel from little island?

suzie duff said:
Thanks satanta, that makes things much easier....im sure is not hard to find the hotel from little island?
It's not... but only if you know where it is ;)

Just incase... if coming out from Kent you'll be dropped on the right hand side of the tracks (right if still facing out toward Cobh at least). This is the right side for hitting towards the hotel. Exit the station via the little walkway (dirt track type of footpath so take care with your mum walking on this) and it will lead you onto the Littleisland exit from the main Dublin road (you'll be on the exit ramp about half way along). Follow the footpath up the hill to the traffic lights (slightly steep hill [typical exit ramp road] so again ensure your mum is ok with this - a taxi from the station to the hotel is ~ €10 + costs for additional people... ). Cross at the lights and take the bridge across towards Eastgate (an area of Littleisland - a business park really). When you come to the roundabout turn right, into Eastgate, and the Radisson is the first road down to the right.

(Basically, up the hill, right over the bridge, right at the roundabout and it's on your right)

It's approx a five minute walk (for a young lad trying to get to work on time :p) so give yourselves 10 or maybe 15 if with your mum.

I could be mistaken in the dates but I believe there may be a Circus on the grounds adjacent to the Radisson this weekend. I'll try and confirm this for you so at least you have some prior knowledge of this. I doubt if it'd be a huge inconvience for a guest, but I know I'd prefer to know in advance.

great directions, im still debating with myself if ill drive or not ,my fiesta might collapse with 4 people and 4 bags!! but it might be handy around Cork boy! :d

The roads from Cork to Dublin are very good, so comfort isn't too bad. With your mum on board the chance to pull in if/when needed is always handy and as you stated, great oportunity to pop in for a nice lunch somewhere.

Given the location of the Radisson a car is very handy. The train is grand, but not ideal if it rains etc. Its not a long drive/train ride out to Cobh if ya fancied something like that either. If you end up with the train all you'll see is the Radisson (based basically in the middle of a business park - though hit down the road further away from the station and it can be a scenic walking area) and the city (nothing wrong with the city, but on a busy weekend can be hectic).

Given that it is a bank hol weekend the car may end up acting as a glorified umbrella if you do bring it into CC. Then again, if only on a weekend trip who knows if you'd be able to sqeeze in much more activity than resting in the hotel and shopping in the city!

Personally, I'd go with the car given your that far outside of town. Depends on your own views on a few hours driving, the condition of the car, etc.

(The odd "boy" I've more than gotten used too down here.... it's the sporadic and random use of "like" that still seems to catch me as being plain unusual.)

Back