cordless phone from US

pint6

Hi there
Just purchased a telephone from US. In order to use that here in dublin do I need to have any convertor / adapters etc....please advise.

Regards,

Pint 6

Are you sure that a US phone will work here? I suspect that it will not and there may be mains (voltage and frequency) issues and/or wireless frequency issues. Can you post make and model information please?

Hello there,

The following are the particulars :

Panasonic KX-TG6500B

Please advise,

Regards,

Pint 6

pint6 said:
Hi there
Just purchased a telephone from US. In order to use that here in dublin do I need to have any convertor / adapters etc....please advise.
You'll need to convert the two tin mains plug to our 3 pin, but before you plug it in, CHECK THE VOLTAGE. The US system 110v, we use 240. If the adaptor is not rated for 240v, it will probably explode when you plug it in.

The details should be on the power adaptor.

For the power supply you will either need a 240V to 110V step down transformer (e.g. [broken link removed]) or else buy a suitable 240V transformer that fits the phone and has the right connector/electrical characteristics/polarity (positive/negative wires). I just thought that there might also be problems with the electrical characteristics of the phone itself (i.e. the voltages on the phone line etc.) and/or the wireless frequency used (5.8GHz unlike DECT which is 1.9GHz) but the Google answer that I mentioned above seems to suggest that even if these frequencies are not licensed for such use in Europe the phone may still work OK (other than caller id).

Maplin might be cheaper than Peats.....

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

I have a Motorola bought in the US last year - everything is fine except the caller ID - can't figure out why this function won't work.

Got the converter in Maplins Blanchardstown.

I would not buy a phone in US again as the converter cost and the loss of caller id were a pain.

Cordless phones are much cheaper here now anyway.

Lemurz said:
Maplin might be cheaper than Peats.....
Yeah - I was just posting the Peats link as an example of a stepdown transformer and not necessarily as a buying recommendation. Apologies for any confusion caused.
getoffthepot said:
I have a Motorola bought in the US last year - everything is fine except the caller ID - can't figure out why this function won't work.
If you check the Google answer that I linked above it looks like this feature does not work on US phones used on the UK (and perhaps Irish?) phone systems for some reason (possibly due to different data transfer protocols used for caller id in the different systems?).

Pint6 - perhaps you can update us on how you get on. I presume that returning the phone is not an option so you may as well try it if the cost of the transformer etc. is not prohibitive. As getoffthepot says it's hard to see how significant savings can be made on cordless phones given the relatively low prices of them these days here but maybe I'm wrong?

getoffthepot said:
everything is fine except the caller ID - can't figure out why this function won't work.
I bought a Philips [broken link removed] phone from eBay.de, and eventually got the caller ID to work by fiddling around with the settings which, several 'layers' down into the submenus, allowed you to choose between four different 'network types' — turned out to be 'type 2' I needed and not the default 'type 1'. I don't know if your Panasonic/Motorola models have such a setting option, but it might be worth checking..?

I brought back a cordless panasonic phone from US just took it in to electrical shop and got adaptor for it but discovered I could have bought same phone cheaper here,-- it was a few years ago.

Back