Copyright issues with printing t-shirts, jerseys.

LinuxKing

Hi everybody,

I need some advice on what I can print on to t-shirts.

Currently we are printing t-shirts with county crests (all drawn up from scratch by me in Photoshop but based on the OLD country crests). Is there any copyright issues with me using the old county crests ?

Any help appreciated.. thanks.

J

(I tried to include images to help demonstrate what I mean but it says I cant cos I dont have 15 posts yet)

I don't know either way for sure, but I would imagine that there wouldn't be an issue with it.

I think it would be the same as putting a shamrock, a harp, the tricolour or a picture of the Millenium Spire onto a t-shirt. The concept isn't copyright material. And when you drew up the crest yourself, I think the image is yours. I stand to be corrected.

I think the fact that most counties have altered their crests recently is to try and copyright that new GAA crest. Therefore if you're basing yours on the "old" crest you should be fine.

Just because it is the old crest, does not mean there is no intellectual property attached to it.
GAA County Boards get a fixed fee(royalty) from the sale of all county jerseys , as do the GAA, for the use of crests/emlems, from one well known manufacturer.
Perhaps it might be best to get proper advice on this before someone issues a cease and desist notice, leaving you with lots of unsaleable stock!

The old crests were the official "county" crests, which couldn't be copyrighted by the GAA county boards, I doubt cease and desist letters would issue for anything with an old crest on it.

Thanks guys, that's very informative...

If I was to get advice on this, what type of solicitor should I been looking for.. I assume that your average solicitor wouldnt be an expert in this area..

Back