Copying from tape to CD

babaduck

Apols if I'm in the wrong section...

I need to copy some music (choir scores) from tape to CD - haven't a clue how to

All advice welcomed!!

Get your tape player with a headphone socket out.

Get a headphone jack to headphone jack lead ([broken link removed], ebay, etc). One end in the tape player, one end in the mic socket on the pc

record on the pc using something as simple as sound recorder.
(To open Sound Recorder, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Entertainment, and then click Sound Recorder. )

Burn recording to cd using any burn software

If you dont have a mic in on the pc, try putting it on a recordable mp3 player and transfer recording to pc via USB.

You'll need a line in cable, which connects from the headphone socket to the line in connection on your soundcard.
If you have a soundblaster, here are the connections.
They sometimes come with MP3 players; I got mime with an iAudio.

The best software for recording is Audicaty , which is free and is also good for editing your recorded music. It records to wav - if you want to export as MP3 you will need the Lame MP3 encoder.

Sorry for the delay in replying - flat out busy in work. Many thanks for the tips - will be doing this tonight!

I have a query on the physical cable connection from my turntable to my PC. I have a headphone socket on my stereo which my turntable is part of. I have a Dell laptop which is only about a year old. I've checked it for a 'line-in' jack but all I have is the following:

at the back: 3 X USB ports, I/net connection, printer scart(!?) and the mains connection.

at RHS: headphone jack, a jack which I don't recognise

at LHS: no jack connections

Can I go headphone to headphone? I've checked out internet LP to CD tutorials and they all talk about a cable from stereo headphone jack to line in jack on your soundcard. I don't appear to have a line-in jack on my laptop.

You might have to use a USB soundcard like

Unless that other connection is for a microphone. What model is your Dell laptop?

Dell Inspiron 1200 - Review from PC world.

Although solidly constructed and upgradable, the Inspiron 1200 is a very basic, plain-looking unit with a small 30GB 4200-rpm hard drive, a 1.3-GHz Celeron M 350 processor, and 256MB of built-in RAM (with one empty slot for adding another DIMM). Connections are somewhat limited, though you do get ethernet and modem jacks, a VGA port, headphone and microphone mini-jacks, and one PC Card slot. Built-in Wi-Fi is not an option. It also offers three USB ports--a generous number--though they're all inconveniently located on the back of the notebook (a design drawback the Inspiron 2500 shared).

Use the microphone jack then so.

In Audacity, select microphone as you source. Pic Here

Not sure how the quality will be though.

Just saw this on the Audacity website. Any other options open to me?

Do not plug stereo equipment into your computer’s “Microphone” port, which is designed for low-powered (“mic-level”) signals only. Use the “Line In” port instead.