Copying copy-protected DVDs to DVD hard drive?

Z

Z100

Trying to Google this query but can't find the exact answer I'm looking for, so here goes:

Is there any way at all of copying a copy-protected DVD (a movie) that I bought to the hard drive of my DVD recorder? ie have no interest in copying it to a disc and flogging it on Ebay :)

Obviously the idea of a copy protected DVD is that you can't copy it, just wondered if there's any distinction between getting it on to your hard drive and on to a disc.....although I suppose if you could do that you could then copy it from the hard drive to a disc :eek:

Help?

Note that even copying copyrighted/protected material that you own into digital form for your own use is illegal in many jurisdictions and I believe is potentially so here in Ireland (i.e. technically ripping your own CDs to MP3 is not necessarily legal!). Having said that what you need is most likely DeCSS or DVD Shrink (which should bundle DeCSS) or you may be able to copy a raw ISO image of the DVD contents and have that play but I'm not sure about that...

Sorry - I just noticed the bit about the hard drive being in the DVD recorder and I was assuming that you were referring to a PC hard drive. :eek:

Note that even copying copyrighted/protected material that you own into digital form for your own use is illegal in many jurisdictions and I believe is potentially so here in Ireland (i.e. technically ripping your own CDs to MP3 is not necessarily legal!). Having said that what you need is most likely DeCSS or DVD Shrink (which should bundle DeCSS) or you may be able to copy a raw ISO image of the DVD contents and have that play but I'm not sure about that...

Sorry - I just noticed the bit about the hard drive being in the DVD recorder and I was assuming that you were referring to a PC hard drive. :eek:

Excellent Clubman, thanks for that - will give those programmes a try. My Googling has now taught me to use the term 'back-up', rather than 'copy'.....which, to be completely honest, is exactly what I want to do. Thanks again.

DVDShrinking my movie as we speak, thanks all for the help. And thanks in advance for the help when I discover I've done it all wrong....!

As Clubman has eluded to, how do you use DVD Shrink with your DVD Recorder? or are you using it on a PC?

Does the same principle apply (i.e. DVD Shrinker) in relation to a video iPod? Would i be right in suggesting that is possible to rip my dvd collection to put on my laptop hard drive, and then to transfer the files from my hard-drive into iTunes?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

how do you use DVD Shrink with your DVD Recorder? or are you using it on a PC?

I'm guessing there's probably a much easier way to do this, but....I'm DVD Shrinking the movie on my PC then copying it to a disc, then sticking the disc in to the DVD Recorder and copying it to the hard drive. Except I haven't figured out how to do the last bit properly just yet - the recorder seems to only copy the disc in real time but so far the recording stops after the first scene. Will try again later, there must be a simple solution to this. Mustn't there? :confused:

Does the same principle apply (i.e. DVD Shrinker) in relation to a video iPod? Would i be right in suggesting that is possible to rip my dvd collection to put on my laptop hard drive, and then to transfer the files from my hard-drive into iTunes?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a guide on how to make a MP4, to place on an ipod. The software is called Handbrake. [broken link removed] This is supposed to be freeware.

And here's a commercial one:

There alot just type ''dvd to ipod'' into google or go here where i've done it.:

I hope that I was more allusive than elusive to be honest. ;)

So you want to get smart!!! Well everybody makes mistakes Clubman even you....

My cap with UTV used to be only a few GB (3 I think - it's 2MB up and 12MB down nowadays) at one stage and I never ever came close to hitting it in spite of consistent use and large numbers of software downloads.

Is it not 2Mbit and 12Mbits???? I could be wrong but you seem to be mixing it up.
Just like our friend mixed up elusive and allusive.:)

Remember: nobody is perfect:D

So you want to get smart!!! Well everybody makes mistakes Clubman even you....

Is it not 2Mbit and 12Mbits???? I could be wrong but you seem to be mixing it up.
Just like our friend mixed up elusive and allusive.:)

Remember: nobody is perfect:D
Of course I make mistakes but not there. The upload/download cap was 2MB up and 12 MB down. MB = Megabytes not Mb/Megabits or Mbps/Megabits per second in this context.

Of course I make mistakes but not there. The upload/download cap was 2MB up and 12 MB down. MB = Megabytes not Mb/Megabits or Mbps/Megabits per second in this context.

Is there a website for that? If that is MBytes per sec, that really fast, UTV broadband is it? I just want to see the prices b/width caps etc...

It's not MBytes per sec it's simply MB[ytes] as I have said - i.e. the upload/download cap is 2/12MB of data per month. This is a measure of capacity/data storage and not of speed. For what it's worth the package that I'm on offers nominal throughput of 256Kbps/2Mbps up/down. To see what different ISPs offer see this thread:

Key Post: Broadband packages & availability - check here if shopping around

Oh that explains alot!!! I was confused:confused:, Cause i thought a download speed of 12MBytes per/s was a bit extreme maybe doesnt exist, (or maybe only on Fibre Optics to the home) if you like paying $2000 pm Like in India or USA.
Thanks for the link i'll check it out now

Back