Copying a picture/photo to print and hang

messedaround

Hope someone can help , i bought 3 pics / photos to hang on my walls but i wasnt aware they were so small , There basically small photos .is there any way i can do something with them myself to make them bigger as the guy i bought them from wants 20 sterling for the bigger ones ??ive a fairly decent printer ,scanner , ,is it a case of just buying the glossy paper ?? sorry but i so new to the whole scanning and photo thing , Thanks in advance for any help , L

Re: Copying A Picture /Photo to print and hang

Call Frank Gavin Photography on Dorset Street in Dublin 01 8304955. They will most certainly be able to do something for you. Very nice bunch pf people. If you stretch them they will loose the look and become 'pixelated'. Like stretching an image on your computer. If its not done properly, you may aswell throw them out.

How did you order them without being aware what size they'd be...? :confused:

To answer your question — you can certainly scan them and enlarge them for printing out on photo paper, but you'll lose some quality. I presume the photographer's price didn't include negatives (or a digital copy) of the photographs — that would remove his/her option of charging £20 for additional enlargements, which is arguably a little steep, relative to the actual unit cost — but presumably you were (or should have been) aware of these charges too? This is how most photographers make their profit — they 'sell' you a portrait (or whatever) for €40 or €50, which doesn't really pay them for their time and expertise, and then make up for it when you decide you want a bunch of copies for family and friends...

Give it a try — you've nothing to lose. If the original print quality is good and you have a half-decent scanner and printer, the loss of quality may not be disastrous. Bear in mind that if you frame and hang an enlargement, you'll tend to be viewing it from a greater distance than you would a postcard-sized print held in your hand, so the flaws/lack of sharpness will be less noticeable.

You can also crop, lighten/darken, 'tweak' the colour balance and to some extent the image sharpness in most photo viewing software packages (try freeware like Picasa or the Gimp if you have none).

[Edit: post crossed with mullingar's.]

Thanks so much for the help guys , when i bought them i was aware of the size mounted on canvas but unfortunately the pic is like a little square in the middle , ill give it a go doing it myself first , there quite good prints so hopefully it,l work , thanks dr moriarty for the freeware , very helpfull
L

Would there not be Copyright issues here. I don't think you can copy an orginial photo without the photographer's permission.

Hi Again
I got my glossy photo paper but im useless !! i cant make the pic fit the size i want (a4 ) as per the paper , very complicated , any able to help ?? im the last 3 hours messing around with it , i have adope and picasa i can use , pleasssseeeee someone , Ta in advance

This is slightly different. I am trying to find some pictures from old negatives. I haven't a clue what's on which neg. Is there any device out there that allows you to look at the negs and see even half prpoerly what or who you are looking at?

Back