Copy of neighbours extension plans

griffin

I saw a really nice extension on a neighbours house and I want to replicate it. Can I go to the planning authority and ask for a copy of the plans?

some of the council have all the details online and you can download all of the documents. Failing that you will be able to call in and inspect any plans you want

The architect owns the copyright to the plans, so to legally to use them you need their permission.

Towger

you can copy the plans if you wish, there are plenty of plans the same. But it would be an idea to bring this arch on board if they have done the same work and have dealt with the council etc.

Exactly - you cannot copy plans that have been lodged with the council for planning permission - it is illegal and constitutes theft.

...Apart from the fact that every site is different, an extension that has been designed for your neighbour may not suit your house.

I would suggest hiring the same architect who designed your neighbour's extension for your own one if you like it so much.

So anyone who uses a plan from a book of plans is guilty of theft? Of course if it is copied verbatim then it is theft but the plan can be suited to use as a basis for the individual job.

So anyone who uses a plan from a book of plans is guilty of theft? Of course if it is copied verbatim then it is theft but the plan can be suited to use as a basis for the individual job.
Without the permission of the copyright holder of the plans, anyone who uses a plan is guilty of a breach of copyright.

Of course if it is copied verbatim then it is theft but the plan can be suited to use as a basis for the individual job.
This is still likely to be a breach of copyright. Substantial copying - even in another form (e.g. a built form based on plans) will constitute a breach of copyright.

Please note, one cannot "steal" copyright: one can breach it.
Vested Interests who wish to expand intellectual property rights (large pharma companies, the music and film industry, software companies) like to use words like "piracy", "theft" instead of "breach"; "intellectual property" instead of "intellectual property rights", to blur the distinction between property (with its history of constitutional protections) and the licences granted by IPR - in the same way as "global warming" is rebranded "climate change" and foetuses are rebranded "the unborn" etc.

OK, so the OP can get a copy of the plans but they can only be used for reference and ideas. If the OP wants to use these plans (which may or may not be suitable) theyshould contact the arch and get them on board for this particular project. Then everyone is happy

Without the permission of the copyright holder of the plans, anyone who uses a plan is guilty of a breach of copyright.
I would have assumed (similiar to the other poster) that some plans (like those in plan books) were non-copyrighted and available for public use (assuming through some sort of agreement with the owner)?

Are plan books simply there as a reference/consultation step?

so where do you stand if you get the plans and just sketch them onto a blank sheet? I wonder would the architect be overly concerned? If you go to that architect he might give you a reduced rate as he'll just have to copy and paste

All I want is to see the plans and what they did on the inside. My house is the same design. I can then ask my arch to say I really like that design can you make something like that but in my way

ludermoryou say that I can get them online

Do you know where exactly?

All I want is to see the plans and what they did on the inside. My house is the same design. I can then ask my arch to say I really like that design can you make something like that but in my way
Dont see an awful lot wrong with that but bear in mind that the neighbours aren't going to be jumping for joy if you build the identical extension.

Get your arch/engineer to jig it about so as it will at least look a little different

Griffin,
I know mayo county council has very good reference for all planning applications. Im not sure if other councils have the same.
Go to their website and find the planning section, see if they have a search facility and you will have to key in name or address etc.
http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Planning/

Also worth bearing in mind that the extension may have been exempt from planning permission and may have no plans at all.

I've used a dig camera to copy plans many times at my planning office - was asked to sign a form saying i wouldn't use the plans for building etc. fair enough - mind you would be p***** off if my architect sold on my house plan to another person.

fair enough - mind you would be p***** off if my architect sold on my house plan to another person.

AFAIK. They are not your plans but the archiect's. I think there is a legal ruling covering this.

I went to the planning office with some tracing paper when my neighbour wanted to build a house in his backgarden. I simply said that I would be objecting and needed a copy of the plans for measurements etc. I was able to trace most of the information that I needed.

when I say my house plan I mean - the plans for my house - not that I own them legally. Still would be annoyed if the same design was sold again - surely when you get architect's srawings you are looking for something one off and unique and also I wouldn't think much of an architect who sold the same design twice - doesn't say much for creativity