Copper pipe

Slimbo

Hi All,
I am closing on a property soon that requires a complete overhaul of the heating and plumming systems.
However copper pipe is through the roof with cost and I am looking for an alternative.
Is there anything that is used that is as good as copper, and will be certified as acceptable.
I was thinking of sourcing outside of Ireland(China maybe), and was looking for the pros/cons of this.

Can anyone you help or steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Isn't there a plastic type pipe being used now (Qualplast????)? I've used it for small jobs - extending an outside tap and moving a rad and have had no problems. I think this is what they use for under floor heating as you sometimes se lots of flexible pipes sticking up through the subfloor in new houses.

If you are getting a plumbing and heating systems installed the first move is to discuss your ideas with a competent plumber, listen carefully and do not suggest importing pipe from china.

Your plumber will source appropriate materials for the work.

Plastic if used will probably be a vapour barrier type. Like Qualpex.

Last edited:
I'd second everything theplumber says above; Qualplex or Hepworth are two good, proven plastic pipes and are readily available in this country. Importing pipe or fittings from China is a daft idea IMHO as these constitute a small element of the cost of a new installation, some of the brass compression fittings coming from outside the EU are of lower quality (at least the few examples I've seen anyway). Skimping on the plumbing installation is a very poor economy, most of this stuff is concealed or inaccessible afterwards so don't try to save a few bob and risk a poor job. A good plumber won't touch poor quality materials anyway. Copper will still be required for some parts of the installation (connections to cylinder, boiler etc) but this will only amount to a couple of hundred euro or so anyway.

Thanks for the replies.
The house I am renovating is an old stately home and I must do it with copper as per the owners request.
The amount of copper is vast to say the least so thats why I want to source abroad as copper purchased in Ireland is waaaay to expensive.
Surely the copper pipe being brought into Ireland is from China or the like???
Can anyone share a view on this, am I correct or is there a cheaper country that will import to Ireland for a good bulk price?
I have requested samples from a Chinese company and they are guarenteeing all the certs that go with it from the samples I sent to them a couple of weeks ago of Irish copper pipe and sizes.Should I believe them? Should I just try and ask the owner to see that qualplex is going to do the same job?
Slimbo

Early discussions with an experienced plumber are essential are there is much to be considered.

Copper pure or re-cycled if installed poorly is vunerable to corrosion or freezing.

Plastics are cheaper and easier to use but long pipe runs can fail due to excessive thermal movement. Also certainly vunerable to being nibbled in the most awkward of places. Suggest you do less bathrooms properly.

Thanks so much for the replies.
I asked for opinions as the owner wants me to source every material abroad versus home.
I just want to explain what we should be doing and why, and not whats cheaper at all costs. Thats why your various comments are perfect for my discussion with him.
I realise that skilled labour will make up the majority of overall costs, as does he to be fair.
Thats why hes trying to source material as cheaply as possible, without compromising overall quality and durability.
Lastly,can someone please let me know, even with a PM, what companies I could purchase in bulk this pipe fromin Ireland and maybe the UK.
Any leads would be great.
Thanks again.

If the owner is requesting copper and he is willing to pay for it then where is the problem?
Using copper only in the exposed areas might be a option while using qualplex everywhere else.
Importing fittings from other continents might have implications regarding sizing (imperial v metric) as well as different thread gauges etc.
I'd imagine you'd have to have everything well planned in advance to cover any problems that might arise.

iirc Irish piping sizes are unique - so what size were you proposing to import..........?? And presumably, you'll be warranteeing it for.......10 years?

Besides, the cost of freight from China will far outstrip the value of the amount you need - they will usually only ship full containers' worth.........is the house that big !! ?

Thanks again,

yes the house is very big with lots of copper runs.
I think the owner is trying to fill a container with other materials for the house from China.
I know he is keen in purchasing a lot of the build materials abroad

Back