Copenhagen

cch

Hi, heading to Copenhagen next week with a group of girls, we've our accommodation booked near the train station. Whats the city like and is there much to do and see? And is it worth getting the train to Malmo for an afternoon? We're there for three nights,
Thanks a mill

I used to go there a lot on business trips up to last year. Great city, compact, very easy to walk. Nightlife goes for 24 hours! Carlsberg at 5.30am is great!

A must-do is to take a canal tour by boat to get a feel for the city and to see the major sites, including the Little Mermaid and all the new architecture along the waterfront e.g. the Opera House.

Tivoli Gardens. 8-hectare garden and amusement park in the center. Nighttime in Tivoli -- fireworks, bands, orchestras, discos, etc.

Shopping....... I made Mrs. Carpedeum happy with great pressies! Copenhagen's famous pedestrian shopping street called Strøget. is comprised of four streets - Frederiksberggade, Vimmelskaftet, Amagertorv and Ostergade. Great shops, including one of Denmark's top department stores, Illum . It's a vast store of Danish and Scandinavian design. Nearby on the same street is Royal Copenhagen Porcelain http://www.royalcopenhagen.com/ ... very cool and modern designs. Next door... George Jensen, a silver design company. Big H & M and Jackpot shops.... according to Mrs. C:- "different sizes to our shops"... i.e. will suit tall Irish women!

Palaces.... Amalienborg Palace, Christiansborg Palace, Rosenborg Palace. A few good art galleries and museums... check the guide books.

If you have time, you can cross the The Øresund Bridge by car or take the Øresund-train to Malmø, in less than 20 minutes!

Eating out... loads of restaurants especially in the back streets off the main shopping area and by the canals. Great pubs.

Not in Euroland, but, not anymore expensive than Dublin.

Check out the links here... [broken link removed]

Have a good time!

Ya was there recently,great city - very expensive i found though- eating out about the same as Ireland but i found other stuff more expensive than home.
Public tansport is good there,can get train from airport to city center takes bout 10mins and buses are frequent and run through the city.
Canal tour is definetly a must takes about an hour - One i went on left from Nyhavn,which also has a long row of very nice restaurants.Tivloi should still be open and is currently doing a 'Halloween' theme - deffo worth seeing aswell.
Didnt do the trip to Malmo as was there on business.
There is one main shopping street,very very long but should have enough shopping for any girl id imagine!!
Cant think of anything else but any questions ask away.
T.

I did your trip in reverse earlier this year. I stayed in Malmo and travelled over to Copenhagen. Malmo is worth two days and no more really. It is a lovely small city with prices much lower than Copenhagen. Travelling back and forth to Copenhagen couldn't be easier. Certainly we found that flying to Malmo with Ryanair on a low cost flight and staying in a Malmo hotel worked out far cheaper than flying to Copenhagen with Aer Lingus and staying in a hotel in Copenhagen.

Not in Euroland, but, not anymore expensive than Dublin.

I beg to differ on this point.
We went to Copenhagen for a weekend in Dec 2006 and found it quite expensive!
Everything from beer and food to accommodation was a lot more expensive than Dublin in our experience.
Apart from that it's a very nice city but to be honest it would not be on my list of European cities to revisit.
The location of your hotel, near the train station is excellent. We stayed in the Radisson just up from the train station

Hi JMR,

Yes, to be honest I would agree on the straight spend, but, we thought we got more value for money spent, especially when eating out.

I know it doesn't belong to this thread, but, we don't think Dublin in general (there are exceptions of course!) is good value for money when eating out. The latest trend to posing in franchised celebrity chef restaurants where the chef is never present (Gary Rhodes, Gordon Ramsey, Richard Corrigan etc) and paying for tap water IF it is available are cases in point! I was in a party of eight a few weeks ago that spent a good deal of money and we had trouble in refusing to pay the obligatory service charge... because, service was abysmal! It was only when one of our party began to canvas other diners that the management relented!

I agree, since beer is beer everywhere, drinking out is more expensive, but, the upside was the lack of loud binge drinkers ruining everyone else's night out and being able to walk home at any hour in relative safety!

I also agree that while it is a good city to visit, it is not a city to be revisited as a tourist very soon again, unlike perhaps Paris, Berlin, NYC, London, Rome etc.

Theses forums are grrrrrrrrreat!

I agree with JMR, I found Copenhagen to be significantly more expensive than Dublin. Eating out was pricey, taxis were too and drinks.

We have friends over there and when they visit us they are the only set of overseas visitors that think Dublin is cheap!!

cch - The red light district isn't very far from the train station if I remember correctly (our friends used to live nearby) but it's clean and safe.