Coolest passcode generators (banking security)

Godfather

Here is my ranking:
1st NIB (1mm width!!!)
2nd FA (with the card you need to add to it!!!)
3rd Rabo

I hate the NIB one, which is required for Firefox users. It is just so cumbersome to have to key in the codes for every transaction. I switch back to IE instead, where just the standard login password is required.

Has anyone converted from the NIB private key (file stored on computer) & passphrase based authentication to the passcode generator?

I want to do that so that I can access it through a Mac but am afraid it will just lead to technical hassles and administrative blunders if attempted.

p.s. Godfather you've got list mania

Has anyone converted from the NIB private key (file stored on computer) & passphrase based authentication to the passcode generator?
Tread carefully. When I requested the passcode generator, they disabled my access through the normal route! Also, I lost all payee details that I had set up (though not any standing orders). It was like getting a whole new account.

Also, I lost all payee details that I had set up (though not any standing orders). It was like getting a whole new account.

Do you have two different web accounts active with visibility of the same bank accounts? The first for use with IE and the other with the code generator for use with Firefox.

I hate these things.
In fact, i will purposely avoid opening an account if there is one of these involved.
Im sick of needing access to an account only to find that ive left my security fob at home.

Its just Bull that they spout about the security issues.
Im working on a project in a bank now where they have just done a feasability study of these fobs and have decided that they just add another layer of complexity for the customer, which far outstrips the (if any) security increase that they will get

I dont know anyone who has ever had a problem with someone other than themselves accessing their online bank details.

I hate these things.
In fact, i will purposely avoid opening an account if there is one of these involved.
Im sick of needing access to an account only to find that ive left my security fob at home.
Security and convenience are conflicting goals in most cases. Personally I'd sacrifice some of the latter for more of the former.
Its just Bull that they spout about the security issues.
Rubbish. Two-factor or multi-factor authentication is certainly more secure than simple (multi) password authentication.
Im working on a project in a bank now where they have just done a feasability study of these fobs and have decided that they just add another layer of complexity for the customer, which far outstrips the (if any) security increase that they will get
They don't just add a layer of complexity. Obviously the do add some complexity over simple password authentication but they also add more security. How exactly do you measure the increase in complexity and the increase in security to determine that the former outweighs the latter?
I dont know anyone who has ever had a problem with someone other than themselves accessing their online bank details.
That does not mean that it does not happen. I'm sure that a quick Google will give you some examples.

Do you have two different web accounts active with visibility of the same bank accounts? The first for use with IE and the other with the code generator for use with Firefox.

When I go to login with IE (no passcode generator), I have a drop-down box for 'user-id' prepopulated with the new user-id which was issued at the same time as the passcode generator. When I go to login with Firefox, I have an open text box to enter this same user-id, and I have to give a passcode from the generator (iirc). So I think I have the same web account, with two different access routes.

I'm also with NIB and use an ActivCard. I also use IE.

By prepopulated, I assume that means that the used ID is already inserted in the user-id box when you log onto the NIB site.

This doesn't happen with me. The user-id box is blank every time and I have to enter it each time I log on to my account. Then I have to key in a 4 digit number into the passcode generator which then displays an 8 digit number which I key into the computer and bingo, I'm into my account.

What I really appreciate with the ActivCard is that I can access my NIB current account from an internet café if I'm abroad, without having to worry if there is some spyware or a keycounter installed on the PC I'm using.

Once I log off, a new 8 digit number must be generated before the account can be assessed again.

I'm happy with it.

Murt

I use both to access the same account and find no problems. Use the fob whenever I need to use a 'public' PC

Tread carefully. When I requested the passcode generator, they disabled my access through the normal route!

I use both to access the same account and find no problems. Use the fob whenever I need to use a 'public' PC

Thanks - I'll give it a go with some trepidation then.

On a separate matter I've just confirmed that First Active's and Ulster Bank's card readers are identical. I made a transfer out of my Ulster Bank account using my UB card in my FA reader.