Cooker hoods/extractors — are they necessary?

lemrac

Am having a new kitchen put in. It's a funky modern design and any of the cooker hoods/extracters suggested seem enormous and pretty ugly. I'm wondering if they are absolutely necessary or if I tiled behind the hob would this be ok? There is a wall vent above where the hob will be so there will be ventilation.

thank you

L

Re: cooker hoods/extracters are they necessary?

IMHO a cooker hood is a necessary evil. If boiling something for a few hours despite tiles the condensation etc. will just roll down the walls if you don't have a hood.

They're absolutely necessary. Next time you're frying some meat take a close look at the steam coming off the pan, its full of oil and fat droplets. Without an extractor, that'll just stick to the lights, walls and tops of your units. Believe me, its a manky job to have to clean up!! :)

I lived without an extractor for a while and I wouldn't do it again.
Life is much more pleasant now.

I saw a cooker hood in a kitchen place in Clonee, it was seriously funky, fitted flat against the wall with four panels to take out the steam -don't know how much it was

I was in the same mind about an extractor fan....can anyone recommend a brand....one that is affordable but does the job.

thanks

I was in the same mind about an extractor fan....can anyone recommend a brand....one that is affordable but does the job.

thanks

Get one that the filters and grilles can be easily removed for cleaning. I hate extractor fans not because they're unsightly but because of the dreadful racket they make, I have a really powerful one running at the lowest speed, draws more air with about 1/10th the noise of a standard fan.

Have a look at technikdirekt in germany ...

http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en...dunstabzugshauben/page.html?page=2&eurorate=1

from my understanding nearly all the extractor fans are manufactured using the same components (or 2-3 suppliers) so you are just paying for style.

Re: Cooker hoods/extractors — are they necessary?

you may also be interested in extractors that mount into the worktop beside the hob and work by downdraught. Don't know how effective they are, though, perhaps someone else can help.

I got mine from a guy in Galway, had a warehouse full of appliances and sell the ones with damaged boxes / minor scratches from his garage .. he advertises in the buy and sell.

There are plenty that sell for under £100 on ebay, decide when size, colour, type you want. Then decide the price you're willing to pay, use an auction sniper to bid on tons of them until you get one at the price you want.

Bear in mind that companies on ebay can often post much cheaper than individuals esp for heavy items so check the postage.

I buy nearly everything on ebay, just got our stove from germany - only 80 euro postage for over 100kg and nearly a thousand euro cheaper than locally!

what happens if the goods do not work when you get them off ebay? can you return them?

what happens if the goods do not work when you get them off ebay? can you return them?
Yes, although you'll probably have to pay for return delivery which is likely to be quite sizable.
Be wary of anyone who says it's being sold "as is".

I got a Bosch cooker hood recently that vents directly through the wall. It has filter panels that you take out and wash. Before that I had one that you put in charcoal filters - it was useless. I'm delighted with the Bosch. I think it's a bit dearer - about €300 but you save by not having to buy the filters.

Back