Converting to a commerical

R

redrambo

Hi, I was wondering what or where I would need to go to convert a car to commerical, what exactly qualifies as a commerical do the windows need to be completely removed or would a dark tint be enough.
Is there a specific garage that do this work or simply anywhere, help please.

Why be so negative - i think more constructive points would be more helpful than "Im at a loss as to why you would want to convert a car to a commercial in the first place". I doubt he's doing it for the craic!

You need to have no back seats, no sunroof, blocked out windows and thats should be it

How can I be more constructive. I have given the op a general overview on what it will take to convert a car to a commercial type car/van. My opinion is it is a lot of trouble when you can buy a manufacturer converted van either new or second hand.
If it matters, I thought that you were very helpfull to the questioner and that your comments were reasonable and factual.

We import and convert quite a few Japanese 4X4's each year.

In order to qualify as a commercial, the rear windows need to have panels fitted to render them opaque, (or to be removed and replaced with plastic of steel panels), the seats need to be removed and the mounting points for rear seats and seatbelts need to be welded over. You may also have to fit a load platform which covers the rear footwells, and a barrier to stop loads sliding forward and hitting the drivers seat. The savings can be significant in terms of road tax and insurance, but this needs to be balanced with the loss of flexibility and the reduced re-sale value.

I cant say if you can reclaim VRT on a car which has already been registered in ireland, but commercials qualify for a reduced rate of VRT on first registration in the state.