Converting Sockets into Telephone Lines

IrishGunner

Hey

Was in Power City and saw an appliance which can convert any plug into a telephone socket

Thinking of moving PC into another room and was wondering if anyone has used these
and does it effect the line in any way for Internet use

Has anyone used them for general telephone use ?

Thanks

This is a test reply to test email notification of changes to subscribed threads (see ) - please ignore.

Seen them used for people for Sky box to avoid running new phone point into TV room.
Google it. I did ages ago and remember a lot of stuff about them from UK people using it.

While they might work for voice traffic I would imagine that they could reduce the data throughput on the line for internet traffic. Standard 802.11 WiFi gear might be a better solution for wireless/mobile internet use.

ClubMan said:
While they might work for voice traffic I would imagine that they could reduce the data throughput on the line for internet traffic. Standard 802.11 WiFi gear might be a better solution for wireless/mobile internet use.

Did a google on 802.11 WiFi but still not sure how it works ? Do you attach it to your PC or to the telephone line for a B/B internet connection

Bit lost

Thanks

These socket phone things are only good for data up to 33Kbs. You get 56Kbs from the phone socket on the wall with a 56k modem.

What you need is DSL and a wireless router. Assuming you can get DSL where you are.

You may be able to get a wireless router with a standard 56K modem built in though.

Back