Converting our internal garage.

gambelore

Hi guys.

We have an internal garage in our house. It is on the ground floor (obviously) and has bedrooms above it. A hallway links the garage to the rest of the ground floor. It is 35 square meters in area.

We wish to convert it into living space. We hope to replace the 2 lots of double garage doors (at the front of the house) with glass, and to put in patio doors at the side of the house (replacing one of the windows in the garage).

I'm wondering if we will need planning permission for this. I have done some reading but cannot find any example that is similar to our own.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

My uneducated guess says yes, you are changing the front elevation of the house, I had to get planning permission to put velux windows in the front of my roof and that is less of a change than what you are proposing.

There is a planning permission exemption for converting a garage and the only change the front of the house is replacing a garage door with wall and window.

However there are limitations to this, so you should discuss your plans with an architect and get specific advice.

How about using the Simon Community Open door find raising event in MAy to get some advice
http://www.simonopendoor.ie/

The Simon Community idea is great. Thanks very much, I will do that.

It's a great cause.

Back