Converting music files

wino

Hi,
can anyone recommend a SECURE website I could download to convert music from wma format to mp3. I have alot of music on my computer but can't transfer it over to my iphone as microsoft media player does'nt recognise the format.

Downloads from Cnet are safe, so you can try [broken link removed].

All of these conversions between formats involve some loss in quality.
Unless you have a huge number of files, you would be better off scrapping your WMA library from the PC, change the Media player rip settings to MP3 and rip the CDs again, unless you don't have them.

I don't want to lose any of the quality,your second suggestion might be the best choice.
Thanks for that Hoagy

I would also definitely recommend re-ripping your CDs if you have them. WMAs are poor quality files and generally not compatible with other software and devices.

Try to find a good CD ripping software package on Cnet and rip as MP3 files with a minimum bitrate of 192kbps.

Best option is to generally rip using variable bit rate (VBR). This helps give you good quality at a more efficient file size.

How good quality the WMA is unknown, as they can be ripped at different bitrates even lossless. The later is perfect quality. Wino, you'd need to check the quality of the files you have. If they are not lossless (which is likely) then converting them to anything will reduce the quality still further. As others have stated. So the best option (if they are not lossless) is always to re-rip from the CD. But iTunes can convert from WMA to something else if required. Assuming they are not protected as they sometimes are. I assume you'd be using iTunes with your iPhone anyway.