Converting front garden to driveway

fitz

Hi

I live & own a terraced house on a reasonably quiet road in Dublin 12. Currently the front garden is in the old style - ie pedestrian gate and no space for a car. Now having two drivers living in the house, I want to convert the front garden to a driveway. No problem there, will make a good spring DIY job!

Problem is that I need the kerb to be cut out so the car wont have to drive up onto step pavement. I understand that planning permission has to be sought for this? Is this the case? How much will this cost? How long will it take? Has anyone else experience of getting this done?

Cheers
Fitz

Hi Fitz,

Presumably living in Dublin 12 you will within the [broken link removed]area. I have a vague recollection of someone telling me that the Council will do this work for you (at a cost) and sure enuf this seems to be correct when one reads

Got it done 5 or 6 years ago on a rental property and the Council charged I think about £300 pounds!. They called it dishing the pavement from my recollection.

Roy

You need planning permission to alter the front appearance of your house. You should not simply go ahead and instal a driveway without permission.

It will be a condition of the permission that the City Council dishes the kerb for you.

Brendan