converting cd to mp3

zardebt

Hi

I have a CD that will not play on my computer ....... and thus cannnot convert to an mp3 any way around this ?

Thanks,
Zar

Hmmm, given recent debates here, I'm not sure how much detail to go into. I assume you are talking about a Cd with copy protection. Google should be friend with several workarounds including holding down the shift key when the CD attempts to boot with other solutions including a piece of a yellow sticky on the edge of the disc. I think there was a discussion about this recently on the site...

Couldn't you just do it in a perfectly legal way and get a music player for your machine that will play the CD?

There's loads of free samples out there that you can use. I initially downloaded Musicmatch, and haven't looked back. Haven't found anything it can't play yet.

And all legal

Maybe it's just dirty? What music label is the CD from? Some labels (e.g. BMG - see here) use copy protection schemes that prevent the CD playing on many players even though they falsely claim to be ("Red Book") standard media thereby misleading consumers.

Hi tallpaul

Is there a link to recent debates ...... I like to look more into this

- wasn't sure that buying a CD and then converting it to mp3 format, so that I
can use it on my ipod, was illegal !!
- I use an audio grabber that I got on a shareware site.

All my other CD work fine sometime I have to do an analogue grab which takes a bit longer.

Thanks for all yer help,
Zar-debt

Here's one recent discussion that might be relevant. As far as I know it may be technically illegal to make any copies of copyrighted CD material (including ripping CDs to MP3 for use on digital audio players) even if it's for personal use and not for resale or redistribution. Unless the copyright terms & conditions on the sleeve say otherwise. On the other hand I have never been able to get a clear answer on this and whether or not there is any concept of "fair use" applicable to making personal copies of such material in Irish/EU law.

Why/when do you have to use analogue rather than digital extraction when ripping?

There are plently of programs that will do this, without getting into any legal issues as what to what you do with any such programs or copyrighted material... you could download musicmatch jukebox which will take a copy of any audio tracks on a cd and encode them into mp3 format

I'll second and third musicmatch. Better then anything else Ive tried too.

don't think its dirty

the label is parlophone i will look into the link

thanks
zar

might be of interest to you. http://ukcdr.org/issues/cd/bad/ (This site) has an index of copy protected albums among which there are some Parlophone issued albums.

or use a mac with OS X, most of these parasitic copy protection virii installed on music cds do not affect OS X.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the advice at last I fix it last night !!!

I used my other computer and downloaded the software again and it work .....

I think it may have to do with the CD driver software on my dell machine

Anyway problem sorted ...

and a problem shared is definitely a problem halved

thx
Zar - debt

wavejumper said:
or use a mac with OS X, most of these parasitic copy protection virii installed on music cds do not affect OS X.

Well, trojan drivers (that get installed by stealth) more than viruses. However many of these schemes can be worked around mechanically (e.g. using a piece of tape over the outside data track as explained elsewherre) even on Windows.