convert garage or extend house.

clownie

We live in Meath and are considering either moving to Dublin (so we don't have to commute to work) or staying where we are. If we stay in our present house we need to upgrade our kitchen. We have a kitchen cum dining room. We have 3 small children so use the dining end of the room as a playroom and have the table in the kitchen. The kitchen is not really big enough for a table. If we want to open the fridge whoever is sitting in front of it has to get up. Our choices are
  1. convert the garage into a playroom so as we can reposses our dining area. If we do this we will still need to put in new kitchen units as they are about 25-30 years old and looking the worst for wear. Also at present we don't have enough storage.
  2. leave the playroom in the dining area and put up a wall between it and the present kitchen. Put the table in the present kitchen area and build on a kitchen extension.
We don't have a clue of conversions/extensions so would be grateful for some advice. Which would be the better option. Do people like having a garage (if we want to sell the house in the future)? Which would most likely add value to our house? Would there be a big difference in the cost of the two options? The kitchen extension we would build would not be very big approximately 28 sq m. Our garden is approx. 60 ft long and we are a detaached house so coulc put this size extension on.

Thank you for any help.

I would go for the conversion of the garage...I use our converted garage as a playroom....I don't really have that much crap I need a garage.
I would love a garage but not to sacrafice the playroom

It would probably be cheaper to convert the garage but that will depend on points like - is the wall cavity and insulated, is there a connecting door, has the floor level to be raised, is there a heating system in it etc. With a new kitchen extension you will probably pay that wee bit more but you will have a bit more flexibility in relation to the overall size and layout whereas you are restricted to the size of the garage.

Either way you probably wont need planning permission which is a bonus.

Get a local builder to have a look at it and give you an approximate price for both.

Thanks you both for your advice. The garage is very basic. Single block wall concrete ceiling and no floor. It does have lighting.

Should we get an architect if we decide on an extension?

Thats a question that can generate some debate at times. You can have your choice of a draughtsman, technician, engineer or architect. You could also put something together yourself and if you have a good builder you could work away.

As you will probably not require planning I don't really see the need for an architect or engineer for a 1 room extension to the house. What you should be looking at is the position of selling the house at a later date. It is strongly recommended that you engage someone to prepare the drawings and supervise the construction and issue you with the relevant certificates of compliance with building regs and assuming it is exempt from a planning, a cert. to that effect. Whoever you choose will have to possess professional indemnity insurance.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what are the differences between a draughtsman, technician, engineer and architect. Would I just need one of these professions or would I for example need a technician and an engineer? Thanks

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what are the differences between a draughtsman, technician, engineer and architect. Would I just need one of these professions or would I for example need a technician and an engineer? Thanks
There are differences in their functions and as other people on here will tell you their scholastic qualifications also. Maybe Im showing a wee bit of bias here but a technician with P.I. cover will be your best bet.

Ask a few friends and neighbours who have had work done recently who they got and how much it cost etc

Back