Convert Garage Cost

AliDesign

I'm wondering how to go about converting a garage. It's partly done at the moment. I have the roof up and front wall with window and it's already wired up to an seperate esb board to the main house (only 1 socket and light) and plumbed with a toilet, sink and washing machine.

I really want to turn it into a double room with a seperate toilet and utility area. All I need are the walls slabbed, a floor, ceiling and partition walls (the current bathroom walls were partly knocked down when putting the roof up). I also would like to get a radiator and a shower put in and a few extra sockets.

How do I go about arranging this? I am on a very tight budget as the only reason I am getting it done is to get lodgers in to help me pay the mortgage. Has anyone got any tips or idea of cost?

Have you got planning permission for the conversion? That could be your biggest stumbling block.
Assuming you may have an exemptable development, there is also a requirement for the Building regulations to be adhered to in making the conversion you a quick cheap conversion may not be an option especially if you are planning to rent it out as a bedroom.
If it is conversion to a self contained 'flat' I would expect you will require plannning permission as it is no longer for the domestic use of the main house.

I would suggest posting the project on onlinetradesmen and getting several quotations with the advice and guidance of the contractors that view the garage.

Thanks Sconhome. I was told that no planning permission was needed when we had the garage door replaced with a wall & window. Originally, the plan was to extend the length of the garage so it was flush with the porch but planning permission would have been needed to do this so kept the simple option of just replacing the garage door.

The room will still be part of the house as the only way to get to it will be through the kitchen. I not pushed on renting the converted room out. I could move into it myself and rent out my current bedroom.

Is there any other sites besides onlinetradesmen? Or any recommendations on contractors? I really don't want to get stooped as I have been in the past.

There are other sites, tradesmen.ie, tenderme, getaquote etc. Onlinetrademen is the only one where you are dealing with qualified & vetted tradesmen.

Where are you based?

Back