Convert Attic or Extend out the back

paul24

Myself & Mrs Paul24 are debating which of the following works makes more sense to do.

We have an open kitchen/dining L shaped area. Mrs Paul24 would like to add a small room outside our rear patio doors in the dining area to allow the kids to use as a play room/ TV room. This room would also have an open type feel to it as it would open into the dinng area.

My preference would be to convert the Attic space and retain the garden area. I believe that while the room downstairs is now ideal while the kids are small, they will not want to use it when they get older as they probably wont want to be in the same room or near vicinity as their parents!

The attic space will also provide a spare room for guests or the kids mates if they are staying over.

Can I get other peoples opinions or experiences in relation to this type of extension

Thanks Guys.

Paul24

Do both! Or the downstairs extension to start...

I can't see Mrs Paul24 allowing the kids to play unsupervised in the attic. Depending on your attic - it may not be a very big space when it's converted anyway - more suitable for oloder children / teens watching TV and playing computer games? What orientation is your attic - will it be hot in summer and colder in winter - difficult to open windows?

If you do an extension downstairs - and do it well, I'd say it'll always be something all or some of your family will enjoy using.

I'd opt for the downstairs extention. It means you can keep an eye on the kids when they are small and even as teenagers it can be their "den"...it will save you having teens traipsing up and down your stairs to get to the attic..

Back