Conversion of Private Jeep to Commercial

G

Glenman

Hi. I am considering purchasing a Range Rover (RR) Commercial but u can only buy 2006 jeep onwards in ireland :(. This is the first date for convertions over here. I could stretch my finances to between 2003 and 2005. So! I had a brain storm, why not buy a RR passenger in the UK (Cheaper), get it converted over there (and registered) and then bring it over. I believe the VRT is €50. Sterling is good and I will be very happy. Now, who can spot the problem?. I hope it makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot do a conversion in the UK; a passenger vehicle is a passenger vehicle, IIRC. Unless you purchase it as a commercial in the UK, it remains a passenger vehicle on import to Ireland.

Buy a high spec Discovery 3, They are just as comfortable and have a great towing / load caryying capacity. Buy in England as high spec ones are very rare here.

You're paying a high premium for the passenger model so it seems pointless imo to have it converted. From the times I've briefly browsed at RR's in the UK, I've noticed that they are not THAT cheap at all even before VRT. If you want a commercial, buy an X5 or something which you can actually get as a commercial. Or, just wait another year until the '06 facelift model is within your budget and get the commercial one.

Back