Contributory Pension (State) Query

Pension2020

Hi All, As this is my first post I am not sure if this question has already been asked or if this is the correct section to ask my query. I am approaching retirement turning 65 this coming July and obviously have the state pension on my mind.

At the moment I have 490 credits out of the 520 required to meet the threshold for the contributory state pension. I have 30 PECs (Pre Entry Credits)- My query is do the PECs count towards the minimum threshold requirement of 520 credit contributions?

From reading the citizens information office website it appears that the PECs 'qualify' towards qualifying the state pension.

What I am also unclear about is the two year that the credits ' The credits also cover you for the 2 previous income tax years. Your pre-entry credits can help you to qualify for the following social insurance payments'

The easiest way to get a definitive answer is to ask the Welfare office in Sligo for a copy of your contribution record

Thanks JPD, that's what I did hence arrived at the numbers outlined in my initial question. What's not clear from reading the schedule is whether the Pre Entry Credits (PECs) are counted towards the 520 credit threshold required to qualify for the contributory state pension ?

according to https://www.citizensinformation.ie/... credits when you,2 previous income tax years.
Pre-entry credits when you start work
When you start work you are automatically given pre-entry credits. These credits are normally given once. They cover you from the beginning of the tax year in which you start work, up to the actual date you start work. The credits also cover you for the 2 previous income tax years. Your pre-entry credits can help you to qualify for the following social insurance payments:

• Illness Benefit
  • Jobseeker's Benefit
  • Treatment Benefit
  • Maternity Benefit
  • Paternity Benefit
  • Parent's Benefit
  • Adoptive Benefit
  • Health and Safety Benefit
Pre-entry credits can also help you qualify for the State Pension (Contributory). However, the credits will only cover you from the beginning of the tax year in which you start to work up to the actual date you start work.

As far as I can see you need 520 full rate PRSI paid contributions and you need to have started paying before the age of 56