Contracts exchanged, mortgage drawn and seller won’t move out

Given the potential for penalties in the contract, it would appear the solicitor was acting in the OP's best interest to ensure they were in position to close within the stated time frame. The more I read it, the more I wonder whether the OP has gotten cold feet and is looking to pull out of the contract themselves without penalty.

All went through okay in the end. It turned out there was no second mortgage at all. The sellers solicitor was trying to by time for the vendor to move out. They delayed move out a week in the end. We were just happy to get possession so our builders could get started. Thanks for all the advice.

Thanks for getting back dfg75.
Good to hear that is was all resolved in the end.

How stressful for everyone. I recall my other half driving up and down outside our home on the day we should get the keys just to assure ourselves the vendors were moving out. They were but very slowly.

And as MF says then you discover they have taken every light bulb (why?, it is so petty).

This thread has just prompted us to contact our Solicitor to add provisions relating to the Vendor leaving the place clean , intact & on time on our contracts.
Thank you AAM!

Did you also have them include a list of agreed fittings that will be left? E.g. You don't want to view and bid for a house with fancy chandeliers, and move into a house with bare wires hanging out the ceiling.

Did you also have them include a list of agreed fittings that will be left? E.g. You don't want to view and bid for a house with fancy chandeliers, and move into a house with bare wires hanging out the ceiling.

In my mind all fixtures are included by default & must be explicitly called out if they're not included in the sale.