Contract with Builder

roadrunner

Very close to agreeing deal with guy to build my house - any things I should be clear on or include before we go ahead?

From my experience the most important things are to tie down the stage payments at an acceptable level ( if any) and never give money upfront.

Then best to have a building agreement- your solicitor will draw one up for a modest amount and attach the plans and specifications. The specifications are very important and should be detailed.

Something that is very important also is to make sure that the site is completely finished when builder finishes house- ie driveway, lawn, gates etc. You would be surprised how long and how much this would cost you to do yourself.

It's very important to have as much detail as possible written down in contract as regards what the builder's quotation includes - who pays for bathroom suites, doors, handles, skirting, light fittings, vent for dryer & extractor, whose responsible for filling small holes before painting - some builders pass this off as painter's job etc etc

Not every plumber is qualified to fit gas - make sure your builder is responsible for getting this done

Pre-finished doors and skirting are worthwhile

Back