Continuous flow of water from toilet

banner97

Just moved into a new house with 2 toilets.
They both are the 2 button dual flush type. One is working fine but the other has a continuous flow of water into the bowl.
The problem appears to be with the apparatus that is supposed to stop the water when it reaches a certain level. It is a finniky diaphram type thing and not a ballcock that you would see in a normal handle operated cistern. My plumber has no answer. He wants to replace the cistern with the old style handle operated type. He has replaced this part with a new one and has also put in the part from the good toilet and it makes no difference.
Anyone out there with any similar experiences. Any advise appreciated.

Hi

Had the same problem last week, and also a few month ago. The cause was a piece of grit in the diaphram as you mentioned in your post.

I turned off the water to cistern, unscrewed the housing for the diaphram, removed and cleaned the diaphram (ran under tap). I then reassembled everything and problem solved.

SM

Hi SM
Thanks for that
Will try that this evening. Does the diaphram have to be dry when I reassemble it.

My plumber has no answer. He wants to replace the cistern with the old style handle operated type. He has replaced this part with a new one and has also put in the part from the good toilet and it makes no difference.
It doesn't say much for the competance of the plumber!

Back