Continue as a Broker???

N

New

I am a broker who deals in pensions, investments, life insurance and mortgages. As a small oen man band I am finding it very difficult.
However, there is a family business where I would be welcome to walk into at anytime. This business is going pretty well and has a good future and I reckon I could be a serious help.
However I have worked on this finance business over the last few years and I would be sorry to leave it.

What do people think the future holds for operations like mine? What would you advise?

All opinions welcome

you can always return to broking but may not have the opportunity to get into the family business at a later stage. Shareholders may resent you expecting to stake a claim down the line particularaly if they put in the hard work now. Every family business is different but that is an important issue to consider. You are probably playing off the question of independence off inherited right. I. If there is opportunity and you can add value and family relations can weather working together it is worth considering

Dear ccraig

If the family are agreable i would enter the business but keep your agencies for the following reasons ..

1. Reduction of commissions going forward into 2010 and 2011 from the banks
2. Property market may slightly improve in the first quarter due to TRS changes but in the later half of the year,they will dull down again ( after july ..see budget )
3.first time buyers are the only clients being sanctioned at present, your market has vastly reduced with the loss of remortgages, investor mortgages and can you really see these mortgages coming back on stream in the 12 months ?
4. Life insurance is still functioning relativley well but the premiums are down, massive potential for clawbacks and possibly the Life companies looking at their overrides rates.
5. Pensions...are you really selling any ?

Beforeyou make the change, please make sure the family business can afford your wage and that this in itself will not put the company under pressure.

OP, Excuse my ignorance but is it your own family where the business remains ? The changes in the law in the UK where commission brokers in the finance industry are about to become a thing of the past. Personally I deplore brokers that earn their living from earning Commissions from the sale of Financial products. The industry is reliant on overselling products. Look at the statistics of the Financial Services Ombudsman and the amount of misselling that occurs all for the sake of earning commission.

If there is an option to get away from this take it and become a member of a more credible industry, take it before you become tainted in an industry which is in need of major regulation. I have vowed that I will never ever buy a product from persons that earn their keep from how much is spent.